Solve 6 Easy Homework Questions on Forces

• Thread starter vandorin
  • Start date
You are in free fall for a very short time, before reaching terminal velocity, the time it takes for your velocity to reach the terminal velocity. This is because your acceleration is changing as you move.In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to Newton's laws of motion and forces. These include whether an object can move in a curved path without a force, the net force on an apple held at rest and then released, the net force on a ball in free fall, the action and reaction forces involved in kicking a football, and whether a baseball bat slows down when hitting a ball. The conversation also mentions a scenario of two people on frictionless ice engaging in a tug of war. Some helpful hints are provided for answering these questions.
vandorin

Homework Statement

1.)is it possible to move in a curved path in the absence of a force? Defend your answer.
2.)What is the net force on a 1-N apple when you hold it at rest above your head? What is the net force when you release it?
3.)What is the net force acting on a 1-kg ball in free fall?
4.)When you kick a football, what action and reaction forces are involved, which force, if any, is greater?
5.)Does a baseball bat slow down when it hits a ball? Defend your answer.
6.) Two people of equal mass attempt a tug of war with a 12-m rope while standing on frictionless ice. When they pull of the rope, each of them slides toward the other. How do their accelerations compare, and how far does each person slide before they meet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I have no idea, I would think that the item would just follow the path, and if the path was curved it would curve too.
2.) 0, and then -10m/s because that's the rate at which it falls due to gravity.
3.)-10m/s?
4.)The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot, and the foot kicking the ball would be greater.
5.) I don't know :(
6.)I don't know. :(

I have a test tommorow, and need answers before then, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some hints.

1. Review Newton's 1st Law of Motion
2. Okay, but watch the units. They are asking for acceleration. Your answer is a velocity.
3. Again watch those units. They are asking for a force, not a velocity or acceleration. You may need to review Newton's 2nd Law of Motion.
4, 5, and 6. Review Newton's 3rd Law of Motion.

vandorin said:
2.) 0, and then -10m/s because that's the rate at which it falls due to gravity.
10m/s is acceleration due to gravity, the force would just be its weight
vandorin said:
3.)-10m/s?
Free fall implies that an object has reached terminal velocity. Now answer,what is terminal velocity?

vandorin said:
4.)The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot, and the foot kicking the ball would be greater.
From what law did you get these ("The foot kicking the ball, and the ball kicking the foot") forces from?
why would you think and the foot kicking the ball would be greater this?

Hi vandorin! :smile:

I'll just add this to Redbelly98's good hints:
vandorin said:
1.) I have no idea, I would think that the item would just follow the path, and if the path was curved it would curve too.

I think you're misunderstanding "path". The question means "curved path" in the abstract sense … in other words, simply a curve. :smile:
rock.freak667 said:
Free fall implies that an object has reached terminal velocity.

I don't think so, and nor does wikipedia. "Free fall" basically means falling, with no strings attached etc! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
I don't think so, and nor does wikipedia. "Free fall" basically means falling, with no strings attached etc! :smile:
:confused: I always thought that at terminal velocity you are in free fall.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are in the same direction, you add them together. If they are in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

4. How does mass affect an object's acceleration?

Mass and acceleration have an inverse relationship. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the less it will accelerate when a force is applied to it. Similarly, the smaller the mass, the greater the acceleration will be.

5. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull, but mass remains constant regardless of location.