Sketching ln Graph: Tips & Advice for Solving Functions

• Thread starter emma3001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Ln
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to sketch the function y=x(lnx)^3 and finding its critical points. The speaker has found the derivative of the function as 3(lnx)^2 and is unsure if they are on the right track due to the presence of ln. They are advised to use both the product rule and the chain rule. Later, they are reminded to include all terms in the derivative and use software or a calculator to find the maximum points. The conversation also suggests trying the function with cosx instead of lnx and adapting accordingly.
emma3001
I have to sketch the following function:
y=x(lnx)^3

The ln scares me a bit... I have found the derivative of the function as 3(lnx)^2, and when making that equal to zero I got an anwer of around 0.7 if i remember correctly. This I guess is my critical number? Then the second derivative is 6/x(lnx). I really am not sure if I am doing this right, especially with the ln in there. Am I on the right track? What can I now do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd better try the first derivative again. You'll need to use both the product rule and the chain rule.

You are missing one term:
it should be
[..]+6*log(x)/x

yep, so you are maximum points are wrong..
you should be getting

ignore what the thing is.. find values when function is max, and see if f^2 is positive for x>0 ...

I would use software like "Graph: padowan.dk
and my calculator (plugging in different values)

emma3001 said:
y=x(lnx)^3

6/x(lnx).

Hi emma3001! :smile:

Hint: try it for cosx instead of lnx, and then adapt.

So try y=x(cos)^3, and y = 6/x(cosx). :smile:

1. How do I sketch a graph of a function?

To sketch a graph of a function, you first need to determine the domain and range of the function. Then, plot key points by substituting values into the function and connecting them with a smooth curve. Finally, label the axes and any important points on the graph.

2. What are some tips for solving functions?

Some tips for solving functions include identifying the type of function (linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.), looking for key patterns or features in the function, and using transformations to help sketch the graph. It is also helpful to check for symmetry and use a graphing calculator for accuracy.

3. How do I determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is all the possible input values (x) that the function can take. The range is all the possible output values (y) that the function can produce. To determine the domain and range, look for any restrictions or limitations on the input values and consider the behavior of the function as x approaches positive and negative infinity.

4. What should I do if I encounter a vertical asymptote?

If you encounter a vertical asymptote, it means that the function is undefined at that point. To sketch the graph, you can plot points on either side of the asymptote and draw a dotted line to represent the asymptote. It is also important to label the asymptote on the graph.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator to sketch a graph?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to sketch a graph. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the function and its key features before using a calculator. Additionally, it is always helpful to check your work by hand to ensure accuracy.