Confirm Answers to Questions on Power Usage Calculations

In summary, power companies typically bill customers based on the number of kilowatt-hours used during a single billing period. A kilowatt is a measure of how much power (energy) a customer is using, while a kilowatt-hour is one kilowatt of power being used for one hour. Customers can calculate their kilowatt-hour usage by multiplying the number of kilowatts by the time in hours. For a continuous function of power usage over a 30-day period, the total number of kilowatt-hours used can be approximated using a Riemann sum, with an overall factor of 720. Alternatively, the exact expression for the total kilowatt-hours used can be derived by taking the integral of the
pooka
I am new to the forum,so if i posted the question not according to some specific format, i apologize.

Power companies typically bill customers based on the number of kilowatt-hours used during a single billing period. A kilowatt is a measure of how much power (energy) a
customer is using, while a kilowatt-hour is one kilowatt of power being used for one hour.
For constant power use, the number of kilowatt-hours used is calculated by kilowatt-hours=kilowatts * time (in hours). Thus, if customers use 5 kilowatts for 30 minutes, they'll have used 5 kilowatts * (1/2)hrs =2.5 kilowatt-hours.

Suppose the power use of a customer over a 30-day period is given by the continuous
function P(t) where P is kilowatts, t is time in hours, and t =0 corresponds to the
beginning of the 30 day period.

A.
Approximate, with a Riemann sum, the total number of kilowatt-hours used by the customer in the 30 days.
B.
Derive an expression representing the total number of kilowatt-hours used by the
customer in the 30-day period. (This expression should not be an approximation.)

for A:
I did R=720 sigma t=0 to t=720 f(t)

for B: i just did T(t)= integral sign 0 to 720 f(t)dt

Could someone confirm my answers? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost. But why does A have an overall factor of 720?

Dick said:
Almost. But why does A have an overall factor of 720?

I thought that the Riemann sum from 0 to 720 would give me the total number of kilowatt used, so I multiplied that by 720 hrs to get kilowatt hours. Is part B correct then? Thanks for your help.

B is certainly correct. A has two problems. Suppose the time interval were only three hours and you know f(0), f(1), f(2) and f(3). How would you approximate the power used?

Last edited:
Dick said:
B is certainly correct. A has two problems. Suppose the time interval where only three hours and you know f(0), f(1), f(2) and f(3). How would you approximate the power used?

Hmm...I would add f(0), f(1), f(2) and f(3) up and times that sum by 3 to get kilowatt hours.

pooka said:
Hmm...I would add f(0), f(1), f(2) and f(3) up and times that sum by 3 to get kilowatt hours.

Maybe you would. I wouldn't. There are three one hour intervals. So I would write either f(0)*(1hr)+f(1)*(1hr)+f(2)*(1hr) or f(1)*(1hr)+f(2)*(1hr)+f(3)*(1hr). Those are Riemann sums. Put in numbers for f(t). Suppose e.g. f(t) is a constant 10kw. Then the exact answer is 30kw*hr. Do you see why what you are doing doesn't give the correct answer, even approximately?

Dick said:
Maybe you would. I wouldn't. There are three one hour intervals. So I would write either f(0)*(1hr)+f(1)*(1hr)+f(2)*(1hr) or f(1)*(1hr)+f(2)*(1hr)+f(3)*(1hr). Those are Riemann sums. Put in numbers for f(t). Suppose e.g. f(t) is a constant 10kw. Then the exact answer is 30kw*hr. Do you see why what you are doing doesn't give the correct answer, even approximately?

Oh, I think I see what you mean. So for A, it should just be R=sigma t=0 to t=720 f(t).

Much closer. But now your sum has 721 terms in it and there are only 720 hours. And the units are still in kw. You need to multiply by hours somehow. Look back at the 3hr example.

Dick said:
Much closer. But now your sum has 721 terms in it and there are only 720 hours. And the units are still in kw. You need to multiply by hours somehow. Look back at the 3hr example.

So sigma t=0 to 719 f(t)* (t1-t0)? by t1-t0 i mean the increase in the number of hrs from the preceding hr which is 1 hr for each.

Why do you want to increase the number of hours? Each interval has only one hour in it. Just think about how you would approximate it using a pencil and paper. Multiply an approximation of the power usage over each hour by the interval (1 hr).

Last edited:
Dick said:
Why do you want to increase the number of hours? Each interval has only one hour in it. Just think about how you would approximate it using a pencil and paper.

I think that it is 1 hr times sigma t=0 to 719 f(t)

Right! Could also be 1 hr times sigma t=1 to 720 f(t), yes? That would be just as good. The '1 hr' in the Riemann sum corresponds to the 'dt' in the integral.

Dick said:
Right! Could also be 1 hr times sigma t=1 to 720 f(t), yes? That would be just as good. The '1 hr' in the Riemann sum corresponds to the 'dt' in the integral.

yes it could also be 1 hr times sigma t=1 to 720f(t). Thanks so much for ur help and being so patient! :smile:

What is the purpose of confirming answers to questions on power usage calculations?

The purpose of confirming answers to questions on power usage calculations is to ensure accuracy and validity of the calculations. It helps to identify any errors or discrepancies in the calculations and allows for adjustments to be made before implementing any changes in power usage.

What are the common factors that should be considered when calculating power usage?

Some common factors that should be considered when calculating power usage include voltage, current, resistance, power factor, and efficiency. These factors can vary depending on the specific application and should be carefully evaluated to get an accurate calculation.

How can I confirm the accuracy of my power usage calculations?

One way to confirm the accuracy of your power usage calculations is by double-checking all the input values and equations used. Another way is by comparing your results with previous calculations or industry standards. Additionally, using different methods or tools to calculate the power usage can help to verify the accuracy of the results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing power usage calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing power usage calculations include using incorrect units, inputting incorrect values, and not accounting for all the necessary factors. It is also essential to use the correct formulas and equations for the specific type of power usage being calculated.

How can I improve the accuracy of my power usage calculations?

There are a few ways to improve the accuracy of power usage calculations. First, make sure to use precise and up-to-date values for all the input factors. It is also essential to use the correct equations and formulas for the type of power usage being calculated. Additionally, using multiple methods or tools to calculate the power usage can help to verify the results and improve accuracy.