Numeric keypad broken in WinXP

In summary, the numeric keypad is not working on a computer system running Windows XP, even after replacing the keyboard. This is likely due to the "Use MouseKeys" configuration being turned on. To fix this, the user can go to Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Mouse and uncheck "Use MouseKeys". If the problem persists, the keyboard drivers may need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. This issue can also occur on other versions of Windows.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm trying to fix a problem with a computer system and I'm not sure where to go next.

My office manager said that her numeric keypad wasn't working, though the keyboard was otherwise fine. I replaced her keyboard but to no effect: the new keyboard worked fine except for the numeric keypad.

On further investigation the keypad works normally when num lock is off, acting as arrow keys, but when num lock is on I don't get anything.

The computer is running Windows XP. Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
As the keyboard has been replaced and the problem repeats itself, it is most likely the "Use Mousekeys" configuration that causes the problem. For Windows XP the steps to change this configuration are:

Start -> Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Mouse. Here, uncheck "Use MouseKeys". Then go to Settings
-> "Use MouseKeys When NumLock Is:". Here, you select "Off". Then push "Apply" and finally "OK".

We can come across this same problem in other versions of Windows as well, including recent versions.

A less common cause for this problem is keyboard drivers. If the above procedure does not solve the problem then the next step is to uninstall / reinstall keyboard drivers.

Likes sysprog

1. Why is my numeric keypad not working in Windows XP?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a hardware problem, such as a faulty keypad or a loose connection. It could also be a software issue, such as a driver problem or a conflict with other programs.

2. How can I fix my numeric keypad in Windows XP?

First, check if your keypad is plugged in correctly and if it is turned on. If that doesn't work, try updating your keyboard driver. You can also try restarting your computer or using a different keyboard. If the issue persists, it may be a more complex problem that requires professional assistance.

3. Can I use a virtual numeric keypad in Windows XP?

Yes, there are several software programs available that offer a virtual numeric keypad that you can use on your computer. These programs can be downloaded and installed for free, and they can be a useful alternative if your physical keypad is not working.

4. Is there a way to disable the numeric keypad in Windows XP?

Yes, you can disable the numeric keypad through your computer's settings. In the Control Panel, go to the "Accessibility Options" and click on the "Keyboard" tab. From there, you can choose to disable the numeric keypad or change its settings.

5. Is there a specific keyboard setting that could be causing the numeric keypad to not work in Windows XP?

It is possible that your keyboard settings have been changed, which is causing the numeric keypad to not work. You can check your keyboard settings in the Control Panel and make sure the "Num Lock" key is turned on. You can also try resetting your keyboard settings to their default values.