Torque on a Current Loop in a B Field

In summary, to find the maximum torque for a 119 cm wire carrying a current of 1.5 A formed into a circular coil in a B-field of 1.9 T, the equation NIAB(sin theta) can be used, where N is the number of turns and A is the area of the circle created by the wire. The maximum torque occurs when the sine value is 1. To determine the number of turns needed for maximum torque, calculus can be used to maximize the product of N and A, with the limit of 119cm for the circumference of the circle. The appropriate formula for area of a circle should be used, with the diameter found to be 0.3788m and the radius 0
purduegirl

Homework Statement

A 119 cm wire carries a current of 1.5 A. The wire is formed into a circular coil and placed in a B-field of intensity 1.9 T.

1) Find the maximum torque that can act on the loop.
2) How many turns must the coil have, so that the torque is maximized?

Homework Equations

1) NIAB(sin theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For #1, I used the following equation. For area I inputed 2*pi*r*L. I know the length from the information given is 1.19m. However, I don't know how to find the r to solve for the area. Also, I am confused about the turns given. I thought that there would only be one turn because the wire is in a circular coil.

For #2, I would use the answer fron #1 and solve for N.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If what you have there is the equation for torque, then N, I, A, and B are apparently constant quantities throughout the process. The maximum torque is when the sine value is 1.

2) For this question, you could use calculus. You have a limit of 119cm of wire, so that limits your area to when the circumference is 119cm. So what they want is a combination of values that will maximize the product N*A.

Gear300 said:
1) If what you have there is the equation for torque, then N, I, A, and B are apparently constant quantities throughout the process. The maximum torque is when the sine value is 1.

A is the problem. I can't figure out how to the the area only knowing L and not r.

Hi purduegirl,

purduegirl said:

Homework Statement

A 119 cm wire carries a current of 1.5 A. The wire is formed into a circular coil and placed in a B-field of intensity 1.9 T.

1) Find the maximum torque that can act on the loop.
2) How many turns must the coil have, so that the torque is maximized?

Homework Equations

1) NIAB(sin theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For #1, I used the following equation. For area I inputed 2*pi*r*L.

No, this is not the area they want. This is the surface area of the side of a cylinder, but they don't want the area of the outside of the wire.

Instead, since they are forming the wire into a circle, they need the area of that circle.

So you'll have the formula of the area of a circle, with two unknowns (A and r). Then, what other property of a circle do you know a formula for (that involves the radius)? Since you say you're assuming that there is only one turn, does knowing the total length of the wire help you know the second property?

I could use the circumference. I know that the circumference is 1.19m. So setting up the equation, C = d*pi, I found that the diamter was 0.3788. I divided that by two and got the radius to be 0.189 m. I tried plugging that radius in into my equation, but I was still wrong. I think there's a problem with my logic about the turn in the circlular loop. They hint given by our homework website was that the number of turns is the variable that we need to take into account.

Nevermind. I was using the wrong formula for area! THANKS AND HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

1. What is torque on a current loop in a B field?

Torque on a current loop in a B field is the measure of the rotational force or moment that is exerted on a current-carrying loop when placed in a magnetic field.

2. How is torque on a current loop in a B field calculated?

The torque on a current loop in a B field can be calculated using the formula T = IAB sinθ, where T is the torque, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What factors affect the torque on a current loop in a B field?

The torque on a current loop in a B field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, the size and orientation of the loop, and the angle between the loop and the magnetic field.

4. How does torque on a current loop in a B field relate to the direction of rotation?

The direction of the torque on a current loop in a B field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand point in the direction of the current, and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm of the hand will point in the direction of the torque and the rotation of the loop.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque on a current loop in a B field?

Torque on a current loop in a B field has many practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and meters. It is also used in devices such as galvanometers, which measure small electric currents, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, which use magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the body.