Are Hand Dryers Promoting Unsanitary Habits?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a modified set of instructions for hand dryers in a college restroom. The modified instructions include phrases such as "Push butt," "Rub hands under arm (h)air," and "Wipe hands on pants." The individuals in the conversation are confused and find the modified instructions amusing, with one person admitting to using the unconventional hand drying method.
eNtRopY
I find it disturbing that I can go to some of the finest educational instituions in the world and find the following manifesto on the restroom hand dryers.

1. Push butt

2. Rub hands under arm (h)air

3. Stops a tom ically.

4. Wipe hands on pants.

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even understand what those phrases mean. These were things people wrote on the hand dryer? I don't get it!

When stupid people go to college, they need to use the restrooms too...

And sometimes, class requirements force them to do so in the libraries.

LA, that marvelous piece of prose is the modified instructions for hand-driers.

It originally says:

Push button.
Rub hands under warm air.
Stops automatically.

Those who change them really must think they are clever, or something... I don't get it.

Oh ok, see now I get it. I didn't understand at all.

lol, i think...?

Actually, I thought that they were pretty funny. Although I don't know what "Wipe hands on pants" originally said. Actually, I do dry my hands that way. No need to waste paper or electricity.

1. How do hand dryers promote unsanitary habits?

Hand dryers can promote unsanitary habits by blowing bacteria and germs from the hands into the surrounding air. This can then be spread to other surfaces and people, increasing the risk of infection.

2. Are hand dryers more hygienic than paper towels?

There is no clear answer to this question, as it depends on the specific hand dryer and paper towel being compared. However, some studies have shown that hand dryers can actually harbor more bacteria and germs than paper towels.

3. Can hand dryers cause cross-contamination in public restrooms?

Yes, hand dryers can potentially cause cross-contamination in public restrooms by blowing bacteria and germs from the hands onto other surfaces, such as door handles or countertops.

4. How can hand dryers be made more sanitary?

Some ways to make hand dryers more sanitary include using filters or HEPA technology to trap bacteria and germs, regularly cleaning and disinfecting the hand dryer, and providing hand sanitizer or paper towels as an alternative option.

5. Do all hand dryers promote unsanitary habits?

No, not all hand dryers necessarily promote unsanitary habits. Some hand dryers are designed with technology that reduces the spread of bacteria and germs, and proper maintenance and cleaning of hand dryers can also help prevent the spread of germs.