What is the philosophy of life according to Desiderata?

In summary, the conversation includes different individuals discussing their personal philosophies of life, ranging from questioning beliefs and seeking truth, to striving for balance and enjoying life. One person shares a verse from Desiderata that encourages being at peace, speaking truth, and being gentle with oneself. The conversation also includes jokes and references to ancient philosophies.
RuroumiKenshin
What is your philosophy of life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to get out of it (life) without making the world a worse place. If you're lucky, you might get out of it having made the world a tiny bit better.

When in trouble,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout!
If someone shoots a gun at you,
Zig Zagging will have to do!

Originally posted by RuroumiKenshin

I find it difficult to have a constant contradictionless philosophy of life.

Originally posted by plus
I find it difficult to have a constant contradictionless philosophy of life.

Is that a contradiction?

Think, act, create, contribute, experience, learn, evolve.

Thanks for asking. :smile:

Last edited:

constant analasis and questioning of old beliefs. a constant search for truth through science. cold-hard logic and emotionless, machine-like thinking. (i'm only half joking)

ask good questions

Originally posted by wuliheron
When in trouble,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout!
If someone shoots a gun at you,
Zig Zagging will have to do!

huh?

Originally posted by wuliheron
Is that a contradiction?

That was not any philosophy, just a statement.

I think my philosophy of life reflects life itself. That is, I don't have 'A' philosophy of life... I have a mish mash of concepts, abstract ideas, ideals, beliefs and practical considerations which I attempt to apply correctly depending on the situation.

Some of my currently accepted main premises include:

• Nothing is static. Change is the only norm.
  • It's not until you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.
  • Accept everything with a grain of salt, then question it when appropriate
  • To me there is colour, taste, good, bad, fun, terrible, beautiful ugly. In reality, there are just particles and the void. => All judgements are subjective.
  • We know nothing except for what we know is wrong. And even with that, we could be wrong...

From them, if you mix them up, apply them to each other, and extrapolate them out into their obvious conclusions, you end up with a mish mash of confusion and self referential jokes.

Much like life.

Sometimes, I think everyone else'd philosophy is the stop learning early, and fill the gaps in their knowledge with mumbo jumbo spiritualism.

Hmm... Get a lot of money and have a lot of fun, I guess...

Do something unexpected.
Live life without regret.
Enjoy yourself.

Each philosophy has it's place, no one particular philosophy or way of thinking can be supreme under all circumstance except for the unachievable philosophy that is absolute and supreme under all circumstances, so I strive for balance in all that I know of- though it is a great deal more baffling.
What is the difference between a country type philosophy and a city slicker, and then the similarity between those two and hedonism or ascetisism of ancient Greece? The more things change the more they stay the same.

To build a spaceship and go on a space cruise

Yep, one day at a time! :wink:

I, like some others have a life philosophy that combines many different things together. But I'm particularly fond of this one Max Ehrmann verse. I agree with most of it. Goes something like this..

Desiderata- translated from the original Latin, circa 1692,
author unknown

Go placidly amidst the noice and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly;and listen to others, even to the dull ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself to others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere in life is full of heroism. Be yourself. especially do not feign affections. neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the yeares, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nuture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe with no less than the trees and the stars; You have a right to be here. And weather or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with god, whatever you concieve him to be. And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all it's sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a philosophical question that has been debated for centuries. Some believe that there is a specific purpose or goal to life, while others believe that the meaning of life is subjective and can vary from person to person.

How do I find my purpose in life?

Finding one's purpose in life is a personal journey that can involve self-reflection, exploring interests and passions, and setting goals. It is important to remember that your purpose can also change and evolve over time.

What is the relationship between happiness and the philosophy of life?

Happiness is often seen as a key component of a fulfilling life. Philosophers have different interpretations of what true happiness is and how it can be achieved. Some believe that finding inner peace and living in harmony with one's values and beliefs is the key to happiness.

Is there a right or wrong way to live life?

The concept of a "right" or "wrong" way to live life is subjective and can vary based on individual beliefs and values. Philosophers often emphasize the importance of living a life that is authentic and aligned with one's personal principles.

How does philosophy of life impact decision making?

Philosophy of life can greatly impact decision making by providing a framework for evaluating choices and actions. It can also help individuals reflect on their values and beliefs, ultimately leading to more intentional and meaningful decisions.