Does this proof for irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) work?

In summary, the author is trying to prove that \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3} is irrational, but is having difficulty doing so because of a wrong assumption.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})(\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}) = 1[/tex]. But a rational number must be of the form a/b, and if (a/b)c = 1, the only number c that works (for rational numbers) is c = b/a in reduced form due to unique inverses for rational numbers. But here we have a value of c that is NOT of the form c = b/a. And so once we prove that [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is NOT [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}[/tex], we can only conclude that [tex](\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})[/tex] is irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this won't do it, because by claiming that [tex] c = \sqrt 3 - \sqrt 2 [/tex] is not a rational number you are making an assumption of precisely the type of thing you are trying to prove.

As an alternate start, try this. Assume, to the contrary, that [tex] \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 [/tex] is rational. Then there are integers [tex], a, b [/tex] such that

[tex]
\sqrt 3 + \sqrt 2 = \frac a b
[/tex]

Square each side

[tex]
3 + 2\sqrt 6 + 2 = \frac{a^2}{b^2}
[/tex]

Rewrite this to isolate [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] - you will see that you assumption says something about the type of number [tex] \sqrt 6 [/tex] is. Go from there.

Actually I don't even understand what the OP is asking. It seems as though he/she is trying to prove this:
[tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}[/tex] is NOT [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
which it is.

Okay thanks to you both! Sorry I was wrong - yeah - my argument was circular (and was contingent on a wrong assumption too - one that I forgot to check). So i'll go along with your suggestion.

Do you already know that [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational- or, equivalently, that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are irrational are you allowed to use those facts? If so, that simplifies the problem enormously.

Yeah, I already know from the book (apostol math analysis) that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational. But I'm not sure whether or not I know that [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] is irrational or not - but this can be easily proven using the same techniques as those involved in [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. I got it now - thanks :)

What is the proof for irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)?

The proof for the irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) is a mathematical proof that shows that the sum of these two square roots is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This proof was first discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician, Pythagoras.

How does this proof work?

The proof works by assuming that sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) is a rational number, meaning it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, a/b. By manipulating this assumption and using basic algebraic principles, the proof eventually reaches a contradiction, proving that the original assumption was false and sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) must be irrational.

Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it demonstrates the existence of irrational numbers and the limitations of rational numbers in representing all numbers. It also has many applications in other areas of mathematics and has helped in the development of more advanced mathematical concepts.

Is this proof valid?

Yes, this proof has been verified and accepted by the mathematical community. It has been used and referenced in numerous mathematical textbooks and papers.

Are there other proofs for the irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)?

Yes, there are other proofs for the irrationality of sqrt(2)+sqrt(3), including a proof using continued fractions and a proof using the principles of Galois theory. However, the original proof by Pythagoras is the most well-known and widely used.