Surface Integral using Divergence Theorem

In summary, the surface integral I is evaluated by first calculating the divergence of the vector function F and then integrating it over the surface S, bounded by the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2 and the plane z=1. This can be simplified using polar coordinates to get the final result.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface Integral [tex]I=\int\int_S\vec{F}\cdot\vec{n}\,dS[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{F}=<z^2+xy^2,x^100e^x, y+x^2z>[/tex]

and S is the surface bounded by the paraboloid [itex]z=x^2+y^2[/itex]

and the plane z=1; oriented by the outward normal.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I=int\int_S\vec{F}\cdot\vec{n}\,dS=\int\int\int_E(div\vec{F})dV[/tex]

[tex](div\vec{F})=y^2+x^2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow I=\int\int_D(\int_{z=x^2+y^2}^1(x^2+y^2)\,dz)\,dA[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow I=\int\int_D(1-(x^2+y^2)\,dA[/tex]

Is it just Polar Coordinates all the way home now?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't think that's right. The integral of f(x,y)dz is z*f(x,y), isn't it? Try evaluating that between the limits again.

I am sorry, where are you referring to?
The divergence of F= x^2+y^2 That is f(x,y), now if I integrate that wrt z
ohh! I forgot to include the factor of f(x,y) so it should be

[tex] I=\int\int_D(x^2+y^2)*(1-(x^2+y^2)\,dA[/tex]

yes? Now Polar?

Now polar.

Polar bears. Polar beers. Sweet numchuck skills Dick. Thanks.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem and how is it related to surface integrals?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume. In other words, it provides a way to convert a surface integral (which integrates over a two-dimensional surface) into a volume integral (which integrates over a three-dimensional region).

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used to calculate surface integrals?

The Divergence Theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume. This means that instead of calculating a surface integral directly, we can first calculate the divergence of the vector field and then integrate it over the enclosed volume to get the same result.

3. What are the conditions that must be satisfied for the Divergence Theorem to be applicable?

The Divergence Theorem can only be applied to a closed surface (one that completely encloses a volume) and a vector field that is continuous and differentiable over the enclosed volume. Additionally, the surface and volume must be "nice" (i.e. smooth and well-behaved) in order for the theorem to hold.

4. What are some practical applications of the Divergence Theorem in science and engineering?

The Divergence Theorem has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to calculate the flow of a fluid through a closed surface, in electromagnetism to calculate electric and magnetic flux, and in thermodynamics to calculate the rate of heat flow through a surface. It is also used in various engineering problems, such as calculating the force exerted by a fluid on a solid object.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Divergence Theorem for surface integrals?

One limitation of the Divergence Theorem is that it can only be applied to closed surfaces, so it cannot be used to calculate surface integrals over open surfaces. Additionally, the theorem may not hold for certain types of vector fields or non-"nice" surfaces and volumes. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions before applying the Divergence Theorem to a particular problem.