A question on determine the rate of formation (chemistry)

In summary, the conversation discusses a first-order reaction with the equation A-->2B+C and provides data for [A] as a function of time. The goal is to calculate the rate of formation of B at t=28 min. The attempt at a solution involves finding the ln[B] value and using it to calculate the rate for a first-order reaction, but the answer is deemed incorrect.
Kudo Shinichi

Homework Statement

For the reaction A-->2B+C, the following data are obtained for [A] as a function of time: t=0min, [A]=0.80M; 8min, 0.60M; 24min, 0.35M; 40min, 0.20M.
Calculate the rate of formation of B at t= 28 min.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found out that this equation is a first order reaction with equation: y=-0.0345145x-0.2270455
then I plug in the time 28 min into x in this equation and I got the ln=-1.1934515
=exp(-1.1934515)=0.3031730544
the rate for first order of reaction is k* (k=-slope), which is equal to 0.01046386638

I am wondering did I do the problem correctly? because I was told that it is a wrong answer.
any comment or help would be great. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for bumping this, but I am also having the same problem as the OP. I found the k value to be 3.4×10^-2 and the at that time (which is 35 minutes in my case) to be .24M . I am not sure what I am doing wrong, any help would be great.

I would like to first commend you for your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach seems reasonable and your calculations appear to be correct. However, I would suggest checking your units to ensure that they are consistent throughout the calculation. Also, it would be helpful to have the full problem statement, including the units for the rate of formation, to provide a more thorough evaluation of your solution. Additionally, I would recommend double-checking your calculations to ensure that there are no errors in your math. If you are still unsure about your answer, I would suggest reaching out to your instructor or a peer for further clarification. Overall, keep up the good work and continue to practice and refine your problem-solving skills.

1. What is the rate of formation in chemistry?

The rate of formation in chemistry refers to the speed at which a chemical reaction occurs or how quickly a product is formed from its reactants. It is typically measured in terms of the amount of product formed per unit time.

2. How is the rate of formation determined?

The rate of formation can be determined by conducting a chemical reaction and measuring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This information can then be used to calculate the rate of formation using the appropriate formula.

3. What factors can affect the rate of formation?

Several factors can affect the rate of formation, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and surface area of reactants. Changes in these factors can either increase or decrease the rate of formation.

4. Why is it important to determine the rate of formation in chemistry?

Determining the rate of formation in chemistry is important for understanding the kinetics of a reaction and predicting how quickly a reaction will occur. It also allows scientists to optimize reaction conditions and design more efficient chemical processes.

5. How can the rate of formation be controlled or manipulated?

The rate of formation can be controlled or manipulated by changing the reaction conditions, such as temperature, concentration, or the use of a catalyst. Additionally, the rate of formation can be altered by changing the reactants or adjusting the reaction pathway.