How do you determine the amplitude of a wave exhibiting simple harmonic motion?

In summary, when a string is fixed at both ends and a force is applied, the amplitude can be determined by considering the tension, applied force, and length. The string will resonate at certain frequencies, and the amplitude of the anti-node will depend on the intensity displacement and the vibration of the string. The resonant frequency is typically around 60 Hz with a 20 Hz step bandwidth to the next frequency.
BrendanC
When a string, fixed at both ends, has a force exerted on it, how do you determine what the amplitude will be, if the tension, applied force, and length are known?

Physics news on Phys.org
i have no idea, but clear this up for me, is the string resonating on these frequencies? i think so, and if it is, the amplitud ought to diverge, am i right? I've thought about this for a while, for i needed to measure these frequencies on the lab and i wanted to know where to put the oscillator so it would all move as smooth as it could.

How is the force acting on the string? Is it a pulse?

If so the amplitude of the anti-node of the string is a function of the intensity displacement. In other words, if the string has a tension on it (some mass) and then you vibrate the string, the amplitude of the vibrator will determine the amplitude at the resonant frequency. In my experience that's around 60 Hz with a 20 Hz step bandwidth to the next resonant frequency.

1. How is amplitude defined in simple harmonic motion?

Amplitude in simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. It represents the strength or intensity of the wave's oscillations.

2. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a wave in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the wave also increases.

3. How do you measure the amplitude of a wave exhibiting simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a wave can be measured using a ruler or meter stick. The distance from the equilibrium position to the highest point of the wave is the amplitude.

4. Can the amplitude of a wave change over time in simple harmonic motion?

No, the amplitude of a wave in simple harmonic motion remains constant. This is because the amplitude is determined by the energy of the wave, which remains constant in simple harmonic motion.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum amplitude for a wave exhibiting simple harmonic motion?

In theory, there is no maximum or minimum amplitude for a wave in simple harmonic motion. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be limitations due to the physical properties of the system producing the wave.