Build a Strong Balsa Wood Bridge: Tips, Tricks, and Requirements

In summary, according to the rules, the bridge must be freestanding, constructed of no more than 30 linear feet of 3/32” x 3/32” balsa wood (NOT BASS WOOD), cemented with the glue of your choice. The bridge must be able to span a 12-inch river with no supports in the water. The bridge roadbed must be a minimum of 5 inches above the water and level all the way across. No balsa structures may be above the roadbed. The roadbed must be a minimum of 2 inches wide. The bridge must be solid from end to end. There are no holes allowed in the roadbed. The maximum allowable height is 10 inches and the length may
bababooey
Hi,

I am not sure if this belongs here and I apologize in advance if this has been placed incorrectly. Please move it to the appropriate forum.

I have a Balsa bridge due in about 2 weeks. I have picked up the supplies but I am not sure how to start the process and I want to do it correctly. I have the Balsa wood, cutting tools and glue.

The requirements for the bridge are as follows:

The bridge must be freestanding, constructed of no more than 30 linear feet of 3/32” x 3/32” balsa wood (NOT BASS WOOD) cemented with the glue of your choice. The roadbed must be constructed of a single balsa sheet of the same 3/32” thickness. No balsa sheeting may be used below the roadbed. Laminating of the 3/32” x 3/32” stock is allowed.
The bridge must be able to span a 12-inch river with no supports in the water.
The bridge roadbed must be a minimum of 5 inches above the water and level all the way across. No balsa structures may be above the roadbed.
The roadbed must be a minimum of 2 inches wide. The roadbed must be solid from end to end. No holes are permitted in the roadbed.
The maximum allowable height is 10 inches and the length may be anywhere from 12 to 20 inches.
A clear channel of 3 x 4 inches must be provided under the center of the bridge.
The bridge may not be painted or cemented so that the balsa wood grain is hidden.
Your name and period must be clearly marked on the bridge.

Anybody have any tips on where to start? I am lost. If anyone can provide a good, reliable design I would appreciate it. Any other information that would be helpful is also appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=balsa+wood+bridge&aq=0&oq=balsa+wood+

I helped my son build one for a 9th grade class. He won. It may have helped that we baked the bridge in the oven to the point where the wood darkened a bit. This dried out any moisture and may have strengthened the bridge. The rules for his competition were a bridge of fixed size and then the ratio of the breaking weight divided by the bridge weight was to be maximized.

Make it an "Arch" bridge.

Roman bridges are still standing after 2,000+ years. :wink:

1. What is a balsa wood bridge?

A balsa wood bridge is a type of lightweight, wooden bridge that is constructed using thin, flat pieces of balsa wood. It is often used as a model for students to learn about bridge design and engineering principles.

2. How strong is a balsa wood bridge?

The strength of a balsa wood bridge depends on its design and construction. However, balsa wood is known for its high strength-to-weight ratio, making it a popular choice for bridge building. With proper design and reinforcement, a balsa wood bridge can support a significant amount of weight.

3. What are the benefits of using balsa wood for bridge building?

Balsa wood is a popular material for bridge building because it is lightweight, strong, and easy to work with. It is also relatively inexpensive and readily available. Additionally, balsa wood is a renewable resource, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to other building materials.

4. How do you construct a balsa wood bridge?

There are many different methods for constructing a balsa wood bridge, but the general process involves designing the bridge, cutting the balsa wood pieces to the desired lengths and shapes, and then assembling them using glue or other reinforcement methods. It is important to carefully plan and test the bridge's design before constructing it to ensure its stability and strength.

5. How can I make my balsa wood bridge stronger?

To make a balsa wood bridge stronger, you can add additional support or reinforcement to key areas, such as the joints and the center of the bridge. You can also experiment with different bridge designs and techniques, such as using trusses or arches, to increase its strength. It is also important to use high-quality balsa wood and to carefully construct and test the bridge to ensure its stability and durability.