MATLAB: Marginal Distribution Plot

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in creating a marginal distribution plot in Matlab for a scatter plot with X-Y values. They have the Statistics Toolbox and have used POLYTOOL to find mean and standard deviation for the Y axis, but are looking for a way to describe the data as a whole. They provide links to examples and are interested in a vertically-oriented histogram, but have found a suggestion for using the hist function in Matlab. They also mention finding parameters for the distribution and potentially adding a probability distribution line to the histogram.
chendry2001
Hi

I am trying to find a way to create a marginal distribution plot in matlab. I have lots of X-Y values on a scatter plot and need to find the approximate distribution. I have the Statistics Toolbox which is probably needed.

I used POLYTOOL which gives me a mean and standard deviation value for the data on the Y axis, based on a single value for X. Ideally I would want a mean and standard deviation for both though, or at least something that describes the thing as a whole.

This is kind of what I'm looking for:

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2000/suppl-5/883-893bernillon/fig3.gif

http://www.unt.edu/benchmarks/archives/2003/february03/rss_003.gif

Any help much appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks. it was more about finding the parameters of the distribution than the 2 plots on the side of the graph. But i can prob draw a vertical histogram now and add a probability distribution line and establish the values from that. Should work

Thanks for your help!

What is a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB?

A Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB is a graphical representation of the marginal distribution of one or more variables in a dataset. It displays the probability of the variables taking on different values and allows for an easy comparison between variables.

How do I create a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB?

To create a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB, you can use the "marginalhist" function from the "Distribution Fitting Toolbox". This function takes in a dataset and the variables you want to plot and automatically generates the plot.

Can I customize the appearance of a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB by using various input arguments in the "marginalhist" function. These arguments allow you to change the color, style, and other aspects of the plot to suit your needs.

What type of data is suitable for a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB?

A Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB is suitable for any type of data that has multiple variables and can be represented through a probability distribution. This can include numerical, categorical, or even textual data.

What are the advantages of using a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB?

There are several advantages to using a Marginal Distribution Plot in MATLAB, including its ability to display the distribution of multiple variables in one plot, its customizable appearance, and its usefulness in identifying patterns and relationships between variables in a dataset.