Commutator of Position and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and position operators in simple non-relativistic quantum mechanics in one dimension. It explores the idea of their commutativity and the existence of simultaneous eigenstates. It is noted that the time derivative is not a valid operator in the Hilbert space and the Schroedinger equation does not equate the time derivative with the Hamiltonian. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the energy and position operators not commuting in general.
meichenl
This is a question about simple non-relativistic quantum mechanics in one dimension.

If the energy operator is [tex]\imath \frac{h}{2\pi}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/tex], then it would appear to commute with the position operator [tex]x[/tex]. Then, if the energy and position operators commute, I ought to be able to find simultaneous eigenstates of them.

However, it is clear that in general the Hamiltonian does not commute with [tex]x[/tex], and in general these two operators do not have any simultaneous eigenstates.

What is wrong with my thinking? Does it make sense to think of [tex]\imath \frac{h}{2\pi} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/tex] as the energy operator, and is that supposed to be the same as the Hamiltonian? Am I running into a problem because I am thinking on the one hand of a time-independent problem and on the other of a time-dependent one? Alternatively, is it incorrect to state that any two operators which commute must have simultaneous eigenstates?

Thank you,
Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
Time derivative is not a valid operator in the Hilbert space, and its commutator with x does not make sense. Normally, vectors in the Hilbert space do not depend on time. The time dependence arises only when you look at the state from different (time displaced) reference frames.

Schroedinger equation does not say that "the time derivative and the Hamiltonian are equivalent operators" It says: "the time derivative of the state vector is equal to the action of the Hamiltonian on the state vector".

meichenl said:
[...] if the energy and position operators commute [...]

[H,X] is usually taken to be a velocity operator.
I.e., energy and position don't commute in general.

1. What is the commutator of position and energy?

The commutator of position and energy is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to determine the uncertainty in the simultaneous measurement of the position and energy of a particle.

2. How is the commutator of position and energy calculated?

The commutator of position and energy is calculated by taking the product of the position operator and the energy operator, and subtracting the product of the energy operator and the position operator, all divided by the imaginary number i.

3. What does the commutator of position and energy tell us?

The commutator of position and energy tells us about the fundamental limits of measurement in quantum mechanics. It shows that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its energy, and vice versa.

4. How does the commutator of position and energy relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The commutator of position and energy is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The commutator provides a mathematical representation of this principle.

5. What is the significance of the commutator of position and energy in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of position and energy is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, and plays a key role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps us to understand the limitations of measurement in the quantum world and provides a mathematical basis for the uncertainty principle.