Elastic materials for suspension components

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a material with high tensile strength and low Young's modulus, as well as excellent thermal properties and minimal interference with electromagnetic fields. Hytrel is mentioned as a potential option, but its stiffness may be higher than desired. Other options such as Hybrar, Polyurethanes, and silicone rubbers are suggested, with the possibility of exploring alternative blends or foaming for desired properties. The company Multibase is recommended for further assistance.
thadman
Is anyone familiar with materials which possesses a high tensile strength, but also a low young's modulus (high compliance)? I'm interested in a material which can support large deflections, while offering minimal resistance to it. Also, I'm specifically not interested in non-linear materials (ie only materials which obey Hooke's law)

Excellent thermal properties and lack of interference with electromagnetic fields would also be desirable.

I'm familiar with Hytrel. Steve Mowry has recommended it in his articles in audioxpress, but I believe its inherent stiffness may be higher than what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Thadman

Engineering news on Phys.org
If Hytrel suits your purpose except for its modulus, why not try exploring either another blend of Hytrel (there are quite a few) or an alternative TPE.

Hybrar, from Kuraray, comes in a wide range of moduli too. To be honest I've only worked with the H7125 blend, but its modulus is certainly lower than Hytrel G3548L. You could also try speaking to a processing company or supplier to see if they can supply it foamed. Obviously you then lose any linearity, but it's still an excellent product for vibration damping. Polyurethanes and silicone rubbers would also provide you with what you're after with potentially a lower achievable range of moduli. Again, non-linearity may be an issue.

There are plenty of other elastomer brands that would work well - if you're going to be working on any significant scale a good company to talk to is Multibase.

There are several materials that possess both high tensile strength and low young's modulus, making them suitable for suspension components that require large deflections with minimal resistance. Some examples include silicone, rubber, and various polymer blends such as PTFE and polyurethane. These materials are known for their high compliance and ability to stretch and deform without breaking.

One notable material that meets the criteria mentioned is Sorbothane, a viscoelastic material with excellent thermal properties and no interference with electromagnetic fields. It is also a linear material, meaning it obeys Hooke's law, making it a suitable option for your specific needs.

Other materials that may be worth considering are natural rubber and neoprene, which also exhibit high compliance and low stiffness. However, it's important to note that the specific properties of these materials may vary depending on their composition and manufacturing process.

I would recommend conducting further research and possibly consulting with a materials engineer to determine the best material for your specific application. Additionally, conducting tests and experiments on different materials can also help determine their suitability for your needs.

What are elastic materials used for suspension components?

Elastic materials are used in suspension components to absorb and dampen vibrations and shocks from the road, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride for the passengers. They also help to maintain the alignment and stability of the vehicle.

What are the most commonly used elastic materials for suspension components?

The most commonly used elastic materials for suspension components are rubber, polyurethane, and neoprene. These materials have high elasticity and can withstand a wide range of temperatures and stresses.

How are elastic materials selected for suspension components?

Elastic materials for suspension components are selected based on their stiffness, strength, and durability. The material must be able to withstand the weight and force of the vehicle while also providing enough flexibility to absorb shocks and vibrations.

What are the benefits of using elastic materials in suspension components?

Using elastic materials in suspension components can provide a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers, reduce wear and tear on other vehicle components, and improve the overall handling and stability of the vehicle.

Are there any drawbacks to using elastic materials in suspension components?

One potential drawback of using elastic materials in suspension components is that they may wear out more quickly than other materials, requiring more frequent replacements. They may also be more expensive to manufacture, which can increase the cost of vehicle maintenance.