Using my excellent math to imporve my poor physics skills

In summary: We have a math professor at our school who is sitting in on graduate physics courses. The guy is smart, even by phds in mathematics go, so his mathematical abilities are of no question. Apparently though, he just does NOT get the physics. In summary, the expert says that you must study and practice physics to become good at physics, and that most universities offer a non-calculus introductory physics class. He says that you should be able to do college-level physics without calculus, but that you will need diff eq, linear algebra, and statistics. He says that the arithmetic is the most challenging.
Mustapha13
Hello i am new in this forum, and i really apreciate the fact that you guys help.

I am in grade 12, I have excellent mathematical skills (especially in algebra and advanced functions), I rank first in my advanced functions class. However i my grades in grade 11 physics are low.

In university i will be taking a lot of physics due to my career plans (mcat, ect.., but don't mind that), and i will not have the chance to fit in mathematics (since i need more important courses, and it does not benifit my carreer in medicine anyways).

1- How can i incorporate my math skills into physics, so that i do well in it
(and so that they don't go to a waste, and actually become productive)?

2- If i don't take high school grade 12 physics (so it won't lower my average), does it put me in a huge handicap in university?

3- What type of math is the MOST IMPORTANT to do Physics, and without it, physics would be almost impossible?

4-If an expert mathematician who has never seen/done physics before, is given a physics problem in a test, will he be able to solve it using his math?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will be required to follow a specific curriculum for at least the first few years of your degree, which I assume will be in biology or pre-medicine. If the curriculum includes physics classes, then it will also include whatever mathematics courses are appropriate co-reqs for the physics classes.

1. You must study and practice physics to become good at physics. Your math skills will make things easier, but there is no substitute for solving problems.

2. Most universities offer a non-calculus introductory physics class, which is required for general education for those in non-technical majors. They generally do not assume any specific preparation in high school beyond algebra. (If you enjoy physics and are comfortable with calculus, you should really try to take calculus-based physics instead, though.)

3. This is pretty much a nonsense question -- all mathematics is important to physics -- but calculus is probably the most fundamental. You will not be expected to know any mathematics beyond calculus for the introductory physics classes that you will be required to take as a bio or pre-med student.

4. No.

- Warren

hehe, #4 is the funniest in my experience. We have a math professor at our school who is sitting in on graduate physics courses. The guy is smart, even by phds in mathematics go, so his mathematical abilities are of no question. Apparently though, he just does NOT get the physics.

You could probably throw most physicists into just a upper division college chemistry course and they'd be pretty clueless even though chemistry, as some might say, boils down to physics (and physics boils down to math). They are separate subjects for a reason.

heh, there's a bit of a divide between maths and physics. We call it "the real world" =)

I'm going to say that the skills required to do more advanced mathematical (proof based) problem sets (not necessarily the math, just what's on the tests) are very different from those required to do college level physics sets. Mathematical rigor is mainly passed over- as long as you can compute the answer derived from your physical system you should be ok.

For undergraduate physics, I'd say you most need diff eq, linear algebra, and statistics assuming you have a good grasp of basic calc/algebra/arithmetic.

I find the arithmetic to be the most challenging.

Please note that the OP does not intend to pursue a degree in physics. Math beyond calculus will probably not be required in his curriculum.

- Warren

1. How can math be used to improve my physics skills?

Math is the language of physics. By using mathematical equations and concepts, you can better understand and solve complex physics problems. Math also helps in visualizing and interpreting physical phenomena.

2. Will improving my math skills automatically improve my physics skills?

While a strong foundation in math can certainly help in understanding and solving physics problems, it is not the only factor. You also need to have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics.

3. What are some specific math skills that are useful in physics?

Some important math skills that can help in physics include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and linear algebra. These skills are particularly useful in solving problems related to motion, forces, energy, and electromagnetism.

4. How can I use math to visualize and understand physical phenomena?

Mathematical models can be used to represent and visualize physical phenomena, making them easier to understand. For example, graphs and diagrams can help in visualizing the relationships between different physical quantities.

5. Can I improve my physics skills without having strong math skills?

While math is an important tool in physics, it is possible to improve your physics skills without being a math expert. By focusing on understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, you can develop a strong foundation and solve problems effectively.