Partial fractions/Laplace

• Thread starter ihatelaplace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving a partial fraction involving (s-1) / (s^2 + 2s + 2) and suggests using the standard solution of the characteristic equation to find the roots, which would be p ± iq.
ihatelaplace

Homework Statement

Got stuck doing the transform on a partial fraction that's giving me trouble

Homework Equations

y" + 2y' + 2y = 0 IC: F(0) = 1 F'(0) = -3

The Attempt at a Solution

Im getting stuck with a partial fraction of (s-1) / (s^2 + 2s + 2)
the only thing i can think of is As+b = 1s-1 A = 1 B = -1 and i know if i change D(s) to (s+1)^2 +1 i can get e^(-t).
(s - a)^2 + b^2 means a = -1 and b = +/- 1 then As+b / s^2 + 2s + 2 = [b - (s + a)] / [(s-a)^2 +b^2] and i get e^-t * [sin(-t) - cos(-t)] I don't think it is right tho

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ihatelaplace! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your solution is nearly right, but I don't follow how you got there. :confused:

Why not just use the standard -b ± √(b2 - ac) solution to the characteristic equation …

that'll give you roots of the form p ± iq, for which the solutions are … ? :smile:

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method for breaking down a rational expression into simpler fractions. This is useful in integration and solving differential equations.

2. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational expression?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, you must first factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, set up equations with unknown constants for each factor in the denominator. Finally, solve for the unknown constants using algebraic methods.

3. What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

Partial fractions allow us to simplify complex rational expressions and make them easier to integrate or solve in differential equations. It also allows us to find the inverse Laplace transform of a function.

4. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used to solve differential equations and to analyze systems in engineering and physics.

5. How is the Laplace transform related to partial fractions?

The partial fraction decomposition of a rational function can be used to find the inverse Laplace transform of that function. This allows us to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the time domain, even if they were initially expressed in the frequency domain using the Laplace transform.