How to calculate voltage at a specific resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the voltage at a specific resistor in a parallel circuit using Kirchhoff's rules and Ohm's law. A specific question is asked about the current through the 10ohm resistor when the 25ohm resistor is shorted out, and the conversation concludes with the individual sharing their calculated answer.
Gardalay

Homework Statement

How would you calculate the voltage at a specific resistor given that it's a parallel circuit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Gardalay! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Use Kirchhoff's rules to find the current through it, and then use Ohm's law :wink:

(but what exactly is the question?)

If the 25ohm resistor in figure19-39 were shorted out, what then would be the current through the 10ohm resistor?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 447
Call the currents through each section i1 i2 i3 etc, and apply Kirchhoff's rules …

what do you get? :smile:

I got 7.14amps with the 25ohm resistor and 6.9amps without the 25ohm resistor.

Show your calculations if you want us to check them! :smile:

ok, i finally got this figured out, thanks for the help

1. How do I calculate voltage at a specific resistor?

The formula for calculating voltage at a specific resistor is V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. To calculate voltage, you will need to know the current flowing through the resistor and the value of the resistor.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V). It is a unit of electric potential difference, which represents the amount of potential energy per unit of charge.

3. Can I use Ohm's Law to calculate voltage at a specific resistor?

Yes, Ohm's Law (V = IR) can be used to calculate voltage at a specific resistor as long as you have the values for current and resistance.

4. How do I determine the current flowing through a resistor?

You can use a multimeter to measure the current flowing through a resistor. Set your multimeter to the appropriate current measurement range, and then connect the multimeter in series with the resistor.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and resistance in a circuit?

The relationship between voltage and resistance in a circuit is inverse. This means that as resistance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law (V = IR).