Engineering Degrees and Outdoor Jobs

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in engineering but not wanting a desk job. They ask for suggestions for types of engineering that involve physical movement and the conversation mentions field service engineers, construction engineering, and system and maintenance engineers in power and process plants as possible options.
MetalAttack
Hello guys, I'm new here and just need a little advice.
I was planning on a Engineering degree I finished my first year in it.
I really love Math(all types) and Physics. But I also love being outside and physically moving etc. A job where you sit at a desk all day isn't for me. I get the feeling all engineer are office people the biggest part of the time.
was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for types of engineers that are actually out and around some? maybe Environmental Engineering? or any other types of job/careers that would apply to me/what i described?
thank you guys

have a good one

andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many industries which have positions such as Field Service Engineers. These are people that typically travel around fixing and maintaining product. Aside from that, you'll find that at many small companies, engineers have a broader range of responsibilities, many of which require being "up" and doing stuff.

Don't forget the construction engineering positions, with companies big (like Bechtel or Fluor) and small (the ones in your town). These need engineers from all disciplines (mech, elec, civil, etc) and they all do a lot of walking and climbing all day long.

Or, how about the system engineers and maintenance engineers in the power plants and process plants? Plenty of walking & climbing there - I never had to worry about eating too much lunch when I was working like that. There is some deskwork, but most of it is done in trailers rather than offices, and you tend to keep your hardhat on while typing...

alright.
thanx guys :)

Hello Andrew,

It's great to hear that you have a passion for both engineering and being outdoors. There are definitely engineering fields that involve working outside and being physically active.

Environmental engineering is a great option for someone who enjoys being outdoors. This field focuses on using engineering principles to improve and protect the environment. This could involve tasks such as designing and implementing sustainable infrastructure, conducting environmental impact assessments, and managing natural resources.

Another option could be civil engineering, which also involves a lot of outdoor work. Civil engineers are responsible for designing, building, and maintaining infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and buildings. They often have to visit construction sites and work closely with contractors and other professionals on site.

If you are interested in renewable energy, there are also opportunities for outdoor work in fields such as solar and wind energy. These industries require engineers to design, install, and maintain renewable energy systems.

Overall, there are many options for engineers who enjoy being outdoors and physically active. I would recommend researching different engineering fields and their job requirements to find the best fit for your interests and skills. Good luck with your studies and future career!

1. What types of engineering degrees are best for outdoor jobs?

There are several types of engineering degrees that can lead to outdoor jobs, including civil engineering, environmental engineering, geological engineering, and agricultural engineering. These degrees typically involve hands-on work and field experience, making them a good fit for outdoor careers.

2. What outdoor jobs can I get with an engineering degree?

Some examples of outdoor jobs that are open to those with engineering degrees include environmental engineer, surveyor, construction manager, and agricultural engineer. These jobs may involve working on construction sites, conducting field surveys, or designing and managing outdoor projects.

3. Are there any specific skills or certifications I need for outdoor engineering jobs?

While each job may have its own specific requirements, some common skills and certifications that can be helpful for outdoor engineering jobs include knowledge of GIS technology, experience with construction equipment, and certifications in safety and first aid.

4. Can I combine my passion for the outdoors with my engineering degree?

Absolutely! Many engineering jobs, especially those in the fields of environmental or agricultural engineering, allow you to work on projects that directly impact the outdoor environment. You can also pursue a career in outdoor recreation engineering, designing and building structures for outdoor sports and activities.

5. What are the potential benefits of working in an outdoor engineering job?

Working in an outdoor engineering job can have many benefits, including the opportunity to work in a dynamic and ever-changing environment, the chance to use your technical skills in a practical way, and the satisfaction of seeing your projects come to life in the great outdoors.