Building a 21cm Tower with 13 Sheets of Paper

In summary, the conversation was about a project in conceptual physics where the students had to build a 21 cm tower that could support a baseball using only 13 sheets of paper. The idea proposed was to fold the paper into boxes and tie them together to distribute the weight of the baseball. Suggestions were given to reinforce the structure and experiment with different materials and folding techniques for a more stable design.
Imparcticle
I'm not sure if this should be in Physics or HMWK Help. If it is not in the right place, please move it.

In my Concep. Physics class, we've been assigned a project:

We have to build a 21 cm. tower that can support a general baseball at 21cm above the surface of what the tower is on. We are to do this with 13 sheets of regular 8 1/2" x 11" paper ONLY. Nothing else. This is my idea:
1.) Take cut an 11" strip from each sheet of paper that is between 1/2"-1"
2.) Fold each paper such that it forms a box. Each box growing larger as it nears the surface which the tower is on.
3.) Tie width of each box with the strips of paper. In doing so, you would be forcing pressure to go in opposite directions inside the box, and increasing pressure inside the box. The point of this is that, when the baseball is placed on top of the tower, it won't force the boxes to fold in.

Does that sound like a good idea? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your project idea with us. I would like to provide some feedback and suggestions for your project.

Firstly, I would like to commend you on using only 13 sheets of paper to build a 21 cm tower. This shows creativity and resourcefulness, which are important skills in science and engineering.

However, I have some concerns about the structural stability of your tower. While using folded boxes to distribute the weight of the baseball is a good idea, I would suggest reinforcing the boxes with additional support. This could be achieved by using toothpicks or paper clips to hold the boxes together, or by adding triangular supports between the boxes.

Additionally, I would recommend experimenting with different folding techniques and box sizes to find the most stable configuration. You could also try using different materials, such as cardstock or thicker paper, to increase the strength of your tower.

Overall, your idea has potential, but I would suggest further testing and refining before finalizing your design. Best of luck with your project!

1. How is it possible to build a 21cm tower with only 13 sheets of paper?

Building a 21cm tower with 13 sheets of paper is possible due to the strength of the paper and the way it can be folded and stacked to create a sturdy structure.

2. What type of paper should be used for this tower?

Thick and sturdy paper, such as cardstock or construction paper, is recommended for building a 21cm tower with 13 sheets of paper. This will ensure that the tower is strong and stable.

3. Are there any specific folding techniques that should be used?

Yes, there are specific folding techniques that can help make the tower more stable. One technique is called the accordion fold, where the paper is folded back and forth in a zig-zag pattern. Another technique is the triangle fold, where the paper is folded into a triangular shape.

4. Can this tower hold any weight?

The strength of the tower will depend on the quality of the paper and the precision of the folds. While it may be able to hold some lightweight objects, it is not recommended to put too much weight on the tower as it could collapse.

5. Is it possible to make the tower taller by using more than 13 sheets of paper?

Yes, by using more sheets of paper and following the same folding techniques, it is possible to make a taller tower. However, the stability of the tower may be compromised and it may not be able to hold as much weight.