Finding the angle of a BANKED curve

In summary, a car can negotiate an unbanked curve safely at a certain maximum speed when the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the ground is 0.965. To negotiate the same curve safely without relying on friction, the angle should be banked at 37.5 degrees.
rocky811
hi. I'm new here and I just have a quick question. I have tried to figure out this problem, but I am just not sure where to go since there is not a lot given. If someone could give me some more direction, that would be great.

PROBLEM: " A car can negotiate an unbanked curve safely at a certain maximum speed when the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the ground is 0.965. At what angle should the same curve be banked for the car to negotiate the curve safely at the same maximum speed without relying on friction?

** Now I know that the equation tan (theta)= v ^2/rg gives the angle, but without the velocity or radius of the circle, how am i supposed to answer this? I also know that I need to do something with the coefficient of static friction, but i just don't know where to start **

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm, my favorite kind of question. You have the correct formula for tan (theta), but try thinking a little more about the case of the unbanked curve, and develop an equation for something that is also a part of the equation you have. An interesting result.

NEVERMIND! I actually figured out the question myself because I couldn't give up just yet. So if anyone ever has a question like this...here is how I answered it:

I know that the coefficient of static friction (i'll call it Us) is * gravity= v^2/r...so i did .965*9.8 m/s^2= v^2/ (1) *I just made the radius equal to one*
I got the velocity to equal 3.075 m/s.

From there I used the equation TAN theta= v^2/rg...and I got the angle to be 43.97 which is correct! :)

Thanks for your idea...that is exactly what I did! :)

Nicely done. That is basically what I did, except you don't even have to sub for r because it cancels when you sub back into the first equation. What fun!

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved section of a road or track that is higher on one side than the other. This allows vehicles to safely travel around the curve at higher speeds.

2. Why is it important to find the angle of a banked curve?

Knowing the angle of a banked curve is important for determining the optimal speed at which a vehicle can safely travel around the curve without slipping or losing control.

3. How is the angle of a banked curve calculated?

The angle of a banked curve can be calculated using the formula tanθ = v²/rg, where θ is the angle of the bank, v is the velocity of the vehicle, r is the radius of the curve, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the angle of a banked curve?

The angle of a banked curve can be affected by several factors including the speed of the vehicle, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

5. How does the angle of a banked curve affect the force acting on a vehicle?

The angle of a banked curve can affect the normal force and the centripetal force acting on a vehicle. If the curve is banked at the correct angle, the normal force will provide the necessary centripetal force for the vehicle to safely navigate the curve. However, if the angle is too steep or too shallow, the forces may not be balanced and the vehicle may slip or slide off the curve.