Help Looking to Combine Medicine and Physics

In summary, the author is undecided about what career to pursue and has a few questions for graduate schools and programs in medical physics. However, medical school may not be the best option for them. There may be more competitive programs, but they are unsure.
Kvm90
As I approach 'the real world,' I am very unsure how to reach my career goals and how to discern what discipline would best suit me. Before I throw out questions, let me tell you a little bit about myself:

I am currently attending Boston College on full merit scholarship and majoring in Physics and minoring in Math and Chemistry while completing the Pre-Med requirements. So far, I have a 3.9 GPA and I don't anticipate that fluctuating too much. To keep it short my resume is strong, with much physics research (and most likely a publication or two under the supervision of the well-known chair of the department by the time I finish college) as well as strong clinical experience. If you feel need to know my credentials more specifically in order to answer my questions feel free to ask below. After college, I'd like to stay in Boston, I've always had a crush on either Harvard or M.I.T. but I am willing to move if another opportunity seems promising.

Here is my problem: I have always 'known' I wanted to go to medical school. I find biology, neuroscience, medicine, and to be honest almost all aspects of science interesting. I would like to be a doctor rather than a physicist in the medical field; however, I would also love to conduct research in medical physics. Having been researching the application of nanotechnology in medicine for about half a year now, I also find myself interested in this field as well.

Here are my questions: If I want to get a solid education in medicine but also be able to use and/or study physics, what graduate programs should I pursue? Is medical school my best option? Do you know of any specific programs in maybe biophysics that also grant MD's? (Numerically) How competitive would I be for the so-called 'top tier' schools and are they the way to go (I always hear "it's not the school its the residency that matters" or "its not the school its how well-known your research supervisor is that matters")?

What is the path to take to get to the career of being a doctor with clinical time as well as time to conduct research? Will conducting research lower my pay in comparison to someone who is a full time doctor?

Lastly, I am thinking about taking a gap year rather than applying right to medical school (since I'm so unsure what I want to do). Any program recommendations that use physics in medical research?

Apologies for the list of questions, answers to any or all them are SO appreciated. Also, if you feel like you need more information feel free to request it below!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I feel as if I'm in this same predicament as well. Did you ever figure out what you wanted to do?

"Last Activity: Jul 18, 2012"

1. Can medicine and physics be combined?

Yes, medicine and physics can be combined in various ways. There are many areas of medicine where physics plays a crucial role, such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and biophysics.

2. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles and techniques to medicine and healthcare. It involves the use of radiation, imaging, and other physical methods to diagnose and treat diseases.

3. What are some examples of how physics is used in medicine?

Some examples of how physics is used in medicine include X-rays, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CT (computed tomography) scans, ultrasound, and radiation therapy. These techniques use principles of physics to create images of the inside of the body and to treat various medical conditions.

4. What are the benefits of combining medicine and physics?

The combination of medicine and physics can lead to advancements in medical technology and treatments, improved accuracy and precision in diagnosis and treatment, and better understanding of biological processes. It can also open up new avenues for research and innovation in the field of healthcare.

5. What education and training is required to work in the field of medical physics?

To work in the field of medical physics, one typically needs a graduate degree in physics, medical physics, or a related field. Many medical physicists also have additional training in medicine, such as a medical degree or a residency in a medical specialty. Certification and licensure requirements may vary by country or region.