What Was That Bright Light in the Sky?

• Thread starter Vast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the speaker observed a star at a high altitude and noticed it getting dimmer. They initially thought it could be a cloud passing over, but upon further observation, it completely disappeared. The speaker then considers the possibility of it being a geostationary satellite, but is unsure if it can hover over a location other than the equator. They also mention seeing various satellites before, but never a geostationary one. The speaker is located in Perth, Australia and the star was close to 90 degrees straight up. The strange fading behavior is what is causing confusion for the speaker, as they are unsure how a stationary satellite could fade like a moving one. They also suggest the possibility of it being a high altitude aircraft or
Vast
It was a little after sunset and I noticed a star at an Altitude of about 90 degrees. It wasn’t moving and it looked like any other star, but all of a sudden it started to get dimmer. I thought maybe a cloud was passing over, and there were a few small clouds around, but none I could see directly covering this particular star. Apart from a few small clouds the sky was very clear. I think I watched for maybe another 30 – 60 seconds as this star totally disappeared.

I’m thinking whether it could have been a geostationary satellite, but I only know of these satellites to hover over the equator, and I’m nowhere near the equator. It would have been a few years ago now, and I’m still wondering what it was.

Can anyone tell me if a geostationary satellite could hover over a location apart from the equator or whether it could have been something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I’ve seen many satellites before, iridum flares, the ISS. I’ve never seen a geostationary satellite, so I wouldn’t know whether they fade in brightness in the same way a typical moving satellite would. This is anywhere from a few seconds to a whole minute as the satellite passes into the Earth's shadow. My guess is that a geostationary satellite would fade over the course of a few minutes, if someone has any idea it would be much appreciated!

Approximately where are you located? When you say 90 degrees, do you mean 45 degrees? 90 degrees is straight up...

I’m in Perth, Australia and it was close to 90 degrees straight up.

What’s bothering me is that it faded like an ordinary satellite, though how could it have been if it was stationary? I noticed it because it was quite bright to begin with, about as bright as Jupiter. The only alternative I can think of is that it was in the upper atmosphere and moving extremely slowly.

Maybe it was slowly rotating?

What a satellite or a high altitude aircraft? Satellites do rotate, and you’ll see them increase and decrease in brightness as the solar panels direct sunlight in your general direction, it would make sense if it was stationary, but as far as I know nothing in orbit can have a stationary position unless its over the equator.

Those are the two factors: either it moves into the Earth's shadow or rotates out of view. This ones truly got me stumped!

1. What is a satellite and how does it work?

A satellite is an artificial object that is placed into orbit around the Earth or other celestial bodies. It works by transmitting and receiving signals to and from Earth-based stations, allowing for communication, navigation, and data collection.

2. How many satellites are currently orbiting the Earth?

As of April 2021, there are over 2,800 active satellites orbiting the Earth, with thousands more inactive or retired ones.

3. What are the different types of satellites?

There are a variety of satellites, including communication, navigation, remote sensing, weather, and spy satellites. Each type serves a specific purpose and is equipped with different technologies and instruments.

4. How are satellites launched into orbit?

Satellites are typically launched into orbit using rockets. The rocket provides the necessary thrust and speed to reach the desired altitude and velocity for the satellite to stay in orbit.

5. What impact do satellites have on our daily lives?

Satellites play a crucial role in our daily lives, from providing communication and navigation services to monitoring weather patterns and gathering data for scientific research. They also aid in disaster management and military operations.