Feeling a bit lost with an MPhys degree

In summary: I don't know, loads of stuff.In summary, the speaker is currently in their penultimate year of an MPhys degree and is feeling unsure about their career options. They are interested in medical physics and the defence industry, but have been turned down for summer work by DESG. They also attended a talk on post-grad research, but are hesitant about pursuing a PhD due to not wanting to go into academia. They are worried that having a 2.1 may limit their job opportunities after graduation. Their friend mentions that a 1st may be necessary for a PhD, but the speaker is not sure if this is always the case. They also mention that a PhD may not necessarily lead to better job options in non-academic
ben133
I'm in the penultimate year of my MPhys degree and I am on track to get a 2.1

I am good friends with the people in the year above me and speaking to them has made me feel a little lost re: careers.

Medical physics is something that really interests me, and something I was planning on pursuing, but one of my friends has been told he'll be lucky to be short-listed without a 1st.

The defence industry is another area I'd be interested in, but I have been turned down recently by DESG for summer work.

I decided to attend a talk on post-grad research, and although doing a PhD would be very interesting, I don't want to go into a life of academia, so I have also been questioning that route.

I'm feeling like having a 2.1 is some kind of curse and there will be no jobs avaliable for me after I graduate.

Does anyone have any advice?

Regards,

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
The academic route is quite competitive and often that means that you probably will need a 1st to get a PhD slot, but this isn't always the case and it may be worth applying to some places to get a feel for this (you don't lose anything and it depends on the topic). A PhD is by no means the route you should take unless you are seriously interested in the research topic however, doing it just because you feel there's no other option won't likely end well. It will be demanding, long hours and extremely low paid compared to jobs you could get after your MPhys, also the chances of you getting a better non-academic job in the UK because you have a PhD don't seem to go up very much (I have no idea about Medical Physics by the way), so I wouldn't do it for that reason either. (there are a few exceptions, I thinks quants in investment banking are usually PhDs, also specific industry jobs that use skills of say condensed matter physicists exist, and there are prob more I don't know about, but generally you end up with the same job options you had after your MPhys, although perhaps looking a bit more competitive to the employer). PhDs really are apprenticeships to academia so its quite difficult to justify them without at least some aspiration for that, or at least a deep love of the subject matter( such that the PhD wasn't being done as a means to an end, but an end in itself).

I would have thought you would be fine with a 2.1 in industry, have you considered IT consultancy, finance, computer programming, GCHQ, teaching, erm...

Last edited:

1. What can I do with an MPhys degree?

An MPhys degree can open up many different career opportunities in the fields of physics, engineering, and research. Some common career paths for MPhys graduates include working as a physicist, engineer, data analyst, or research scientist.

2. I feel overwhelmed and unsure of my career path with an MPhys degree. What should I do?

It is normal to feel uncertain about your career path after completing your MPhys degree. One helpful step is to research and explore different career options related to your degree. You can also seek advice from career counselors, professors, or alumni who have similar degrees and careers.

3. Is it possible to switch to a different career field with an MPhys degree?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different career field with an MPhys degree. Your degree has equipped you with valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are applicable to many different industries. You may need to gain additional experience or skills through internships or further education to make the transition.

4. How can I make the most out of my MPhys degree?

In addition to gaining knowledge and skills in physics, you can make the most out of your MPhys degree by networking with professionals in your field, participating in research projects, and seeking out internships or job opportunities. It is also beneficial to continuously learn and update your skills through workshops, conferences, and online courses.

5. I am not sure if I want to pursue a career in physics after completing my MPhys degree. What are my options?

If you decide that a career in physics is not for you, there are still many other career paths you can explore with an MPhys degree. Some options include pursuing a graduate degree in a different field, working in a related industry such as technology or finance, or pursuing a career in teaching or science communication.