Can I still become an astrophysicist?

In summary, the speaker has faced difficulties with attending school and has only officially taken algebra1. However, they have studied astrophysics extensively and are proficient in math, including calculus. They are considering taking geometry and algebra2 next year and then transferring to a community college to pursue their dream of studying astrophysics. The speaker is uncertain if their past mistakes will affect their chances of getting into graduate school, but others have assured them that it will not be a major factor. They also mention that they have not informed their educators about their proficiency in calculus and plan to finish their current junior year before taking geometry and algebra2.
Okin
Im not here to complain so I will make this section short.
Throughout my freshman an sophomore year life was making getting to school ridiculously hard.
So I transferred into a homeschooling program for my current junior year. The only math I have is algebra1 which will be done this year (Its not because I am stupid). But throughout most of my high school years I have literally done nothing BUT studying astrophysics. I know C++ fairly well an have calculus down to a T. I have also taken a few online Astronomy courses and one in physics(doesn't count on my record). I know I am still in algebra1 but its because I attempted to move onto bigger an better things. My question is if next year if I took Geometry, Algebra2 than moved onto a community college to make up what other math may still be needed would it be possible for me to pursue my dream? Being in school for awhile is not an issue for me, I realize I messed up badly an and am willing to work hard for my mistakes. Thank you for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand. You claim to have mastered calculus but are only just now taking algebra and geometry?

Im sorry for being unclear I thought I sorted it out.
I have (officially) only taken algebra1 because of problems with school.
On my off time I am an avid studier an have taken many online courses an my brother teaches calc so yes I am very proficient in math. But was unable to attend most of my early high school years so I am lacking a good overall report.

I'm a bit confused, as well. Do you mean that you understand algebra but just haven't taken it "officially"?

Either way, community college is probably a good choice. Get good grades and transfer to as good a school as you can find (and pay for). Take the absolute minimum number of science/math courses you can at the community college, and try to get all of the "squishy" stuff (history, lit, etc) out of the way at community college. Spend your time at the 4-year college taking TONS of math/science classes. Get good grades. Take the GRE. Do well on it. Apply to grad school in physics, preferably choosing one with a good astrophysics department.

I have no idea if this will work, but it is exactly what I am doing, so I hope it will work.

Yes I am sorry if everyone is still confused.
I understand everything about math, that's not my dilemma. The problem is that I just didnt learn it at school so it shows that I am some rubbish student up until now.

I don't see anything wrong with your plan at all. If you put in all the hard work in community college and the university you transfer to then all these past mistakes will mean nothing when you apply to graduate school.

I've considered taking a lot of my basic, core classes at the local community college. I'll be paying my way through school, and I'm trying to save money. My one concern was that this would reflect poorly on me when it came time for graduate school. If this isn't the case (as several posters here have indicated) that will be a load off of my mind.

Thanks for the reply. I will defiantly be putting 110% into reaching my goals!

Okin said:
But throughout most of my high school years I have literally done nothing BUT studying astrophysics.

What does this mean? You have done literally nothing but study astrophysics... so you have not done any of the standard high school maths and physics courses? You need to learn the foundational maths and physics in order to study astrophysics.

cristo said:
so you have not done any of the standard high school maths and physics courses?

Okin said:
I understand everything about math, that's not my dilemma.

You misunderstood me.. I know all the basics its not like I just understand everything about calculus without ever studying anything else but algebra1 haha. Forgive me for making such an ill-prepared OP which has obviously caused a ridiculous amount of confusion. But yes I have learned all of the high school curriculum that is needed. I appreciate the response though.

MOTM1618 said:
I've considered taking a lot of my basic, core classes at the local community college. I'll be paying my way through school, and I'm trying to save money. My one concern was that this would reflect poorly on me when it came time for graduate school. If this isn't the case (as several posters here have indicated) that will be a load off of my mind.

While where you go for undergrad is a factor considered by admission committees, not going to a big name school will not significantly affect your application at all. I started off at a community college for exactly the same reason and I was accepted to numerous grad programs and I am by no means an exception to the rule.

If you have mastered calculus, then why would you take geometry/algebra 2 next year? Obviously, your teacher should've noticed how easy your current class is to you...

Well because I honestly haven't given any thought to telling any of my educators.
I figured the best path for me to take would just to finish my current JR year (2months left)
Than take Geometry/Algebra2 Next year. I am on a limited homeschooling program its not like I can tell about my calculus skills and then just be put into calculus. And in my opinion people might think I am crazy if I spent 3 years on Algebra1 than moved onto calculus...

Can I still become an astrophysicist?

Yes, it is never too late to become an astrophysicist. Many successful astrophysicists did not start their careers until later in life.

Do I need a degree in astrophysics to become an astrophysicist?

While having a degree in astrophysics is helpful, it is not always necessary. Many astrophysicists have degrees in other fields such as physics, mathematics, or engineering.

What skills do I need to become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, you will need strong analytical and mathematical skills. You should also be curious, creative, and have a passion for exploring the mysteries of the universe.

What career opportunities are available for astrophysicists?

Astrophysicists have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions at universities, observatories, and government agencies. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology.

How much can I expect to earn as an astrophysicist?

The salary for astrophysicists can vary depending on their level of education, experience, and place of employment. However, on average, astrophysicists can earn a competitive salary with great potential for growth and advancement in their careers.