Why does cotangent inverse of 0 equal pi/2?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement asks what values of \theta give you cot(\theta) = 0. Cot(pi/2) = 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined =/= 0.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I don't understand why cot^(-1)(0) = pi/2 and was hoping someone could explain this to me. cot(theta)=1/tan(theta)
because tan^(-1)(0) is undefined

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're confusing [itex]cot^{-1}(\theta) = {{1}\over{cot(\theta)}}[/itex] with the Arc-cotangent or "Inverse cotangent", which is the inverse function of [itex]cotan(\theta)[/itex]. The inverse cotangent is the function that tells you what values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give you the value 'x' in [itex]cotan(\theta) = x[/itex].

So in other words, [itex]cot^{-1}(0)[/itex] is asking what values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give you [itex]cot(\theta) = 0[/itex].

EDIT: Ok I think I got that squared away correctly.

Last edited:
oh so cot(0) is undefined because
cot(0) = 1/tan(0) = 1/0 = undefined, makes sense
cot(pi/2) = 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined =/= 0
I don't see how the two are equal, and you I think I may be getting some things mixed up as I haven't dealt with basic trig in several years lolz

No, cot(pi/2) = 0.

Why would they be equal in the first place?

Pengwuino said:
No, cot(pi/2) = 0.

Why would they be equal in the first place?

cot(theta)=1/tan(theta)
cot(pi/2) should then be equal to 1/tan(pi/2)
cot(pi/2) = 0 = 1/tan(pi/2)

I just don't understand why
1/tan(pi/2) is equal to zero
because tan(pi/2) = undefined
so 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined
how is this equal to zero?[/quote]
Rather than think of cot(x) as 1/tan(x), a more fundamental definition is: tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x) and cot(x)= cos(x)/sin(x). [itex]sin(\pi/2)= 1[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] so [itex]tan(\pi/2)[/itex] is undefined (the denominator is 0) while [itex]cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] (the numerator is 0).

Last edited by a moderator:
cot-1(x) is another way to write the arccot(x) function.

cot-1(x) ≠ 1/cot(x) .

GreenPrint said:
cot(theta)=1/tan(theta)
cot(pi/2) should then be equal to 1/tan(pi/2)
cot(pi/2) = 0 = 1/tan(pi/2)

I just don't understand why
1/tan(pi/2) is equal to zero
because tan(pi/2) = undefined
so 1/tan(pi/2) = 1/undefined
how is this equal to zero?

It's undefined in the sense that division by zero is not allowed. Think about it this way, if [tex]\frac{a}{\left(\frac{b}{c}\right)}=\frac{ac}{b}[/tex] then [tex]\frac{1}{\left(\frac{1}{0}\right)}=0[/tex]

Or you can even think of division by zero as being [itex]\pm\infty[/itex] so when we divide a finite value by this amount, we get 0.

Hi Greenprint. Mentallic has the correct answer here. [itex]1/0[/itex] is undefined however [itex]0/1[/itex] is perfectly well defined and is equal to zero.

[itex]\cot^{-1}(0) = \pi/2 \Rightarrow \cot(\pi/2) = 0[/itex]

Trying to rearrange it so you can use the more familiar tan doesn't really help since it brings in division by 0. Take a look at the graph of cot-1x and see what the value is when x = 0

Attachments

• wolframalpha-20110806132908793.gif
    wolframalpha-20110806132908793.gif
    6 KB · Views: 1,327
I think it would help to point out that the basic definition of [itex]cot(x)[/itex] is [itex]cos(x)/sin(x)[/itex], not [itex]1/tan(x)[/itex]. At [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], [itex]tan(x)[/itex] is not defined but [itex]cos(\pi/2)= cos(\pi/2)/sin(\pi/2)= 0/1= 0[/itex]

O.P. acknowledged that [itex]\cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] in Post #5.

1. What is the value of cotangent inverse of 0?

The value of cotangent inverse of 0 is pi/2. This means that when the cotangent of an angle is equal to 0, the angle itself is pi/2 radians or 90 degrees.

2. Why is the value of cotangent inverse of 0 equal to pi/2?

The value of cotangent inverse of 0 is equal to pi/2 because the cotangent function is the inverse of the tangent function. In other words, the cotangent of an angle is equal to the reciprocal of the tangent of that same angle. Since the tangent of pi/2 is undefined, the cotangent of 0 is also undefined. Therefore, the inverse of 0 is equal to pi/2.

3. Can the value of cotangent inverse of 0 be expressed in degrees instead of radians?

Yes, the value of cotangent inverse of 0 can be expressed in degrees as well. Converting pi/2 radians to degrees gives us 90 degrees. Therefore, the value of cotangent inverse of 0 is equal to 90 degrees.

4. How is the value of cotangent inverse of 0 useful in mathematics?

The value of cotangent inverse of 0 is useful in many areas of mathematics, especially in trigonometry and calculus. It is often used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions and to find missing angles in right triangles. It is also used in the study of inverse trigonometric functions and their properties.

5. Is the value of cotangent inverse of 0 the only solution to the equation cot(x) = 0?

No, the value of cotangent inverse of 0 is not the only solution to the equation cot(x) = 0. Since the cotangent function is periodic, it has infinitely many solutions. The value of cotangent inverse of 0 is just one of the solutions, but it is considered the principal value. Other solutions can be found by adding or subtracting multiples of pi from the principal value.