Another variables question a little harder this time.

In summary, the point of intersection of the graphs f(x) = x^2+35 and g(x) = 12x is (5,60). This can be found by setting the two functions equal, solving the resulting quadratic equation, and identifying the point that satisfies both equations. It is important to also consider the meaning of the question and use logical reasoning to simplify the problem.
davie08

Homework Statement

Which of the following points is a point of intersection of the graphs
f(x)=x^2+35 and g(x)=12x?

multiple choice

-(0,35)

-(9,35)

-(1,12)

-(5,60)

-(9,60)

- none of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done any math for 3 years so bear with me I'm not even sure how to begin answering this question, and don't worry I don't even care about the actual answer I just want to find out how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
davie08 said:

Homework Statement

multiple choice

-(0,35)

-(9,35)

-(1,12)

-(5,60)

-(9,60)

- none of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done any math for 3 years so bear with me I'm not even sure how to begin answering this question, and don't worry I don't even care about the actual answer I just want to find out how to get it.

Set the two functions equal.
x2 + 35 = 12x

Solve the resulting quadratic equation.

There are two points of intersection, one of which is listed.

okay so you would substitute 5 for x and end up with 60. So would that make the answer (5,60). If this is the answer how does that work where the number your substituting is the first number of the intersection.

When you set x2 + 35 = 12x, you are setting the y values of the two functions equal, and solving for x. At any point of intersection, there is a point (x, y) that is on both graphs.

Solving the quadratic, you get x = 5 or x = 7. f(5) = g(5) = 60, the y value at the intersection point (5, 60). f(7) = g(7) = 84, so the other point is (7, 84), which isn't listed.

thanks again luckily I am taking a math readiness course in a couple weeks I only know a 1/4 of these questions.

davie08 said:

Homework Statement

multiple choice

-(0,35)

-(9,35)

-(1,12)

-(5,60)

-(9,60)

- none of the above

The other responders gave you the general method, but in this particular case we can just eyeball it and get the answer.

The question is asking, which of those points can be a point on the graph of BOTH of those functions. g(x) = 12x is particularly simple to work with, and you can see that if you plug in 0, you get 0; if you plug in 9, you get 108, and so forth. Mentally testing out each of the points, we see that only (1,12) and (5,60) are on the graph of g(x) = 12x. So those two are the only possibilities.

Now looking at f(x)=x^2+35, if we plug in 1 we get 36, so (1,12) is impossible. And if we plug in 5, we get 5*5 + 35 = 60. Voila!

The moral of the story is that it's important to know the general method: set the two functions equal and solve the resulting quadratic. But it's equally important -- really, MORE important -- to always take a moment to stop and think about the meaning of the question, and see if you can get a sense of what's going on without putting pencil to paper. This particular problem happens to be solvable by just looking at it and thinking about what the question means.

Last edited:
thanks steve you I realize that because it makes a question so much easier when you truly understand what it means verse just memorizing the methods to find that answer.

1. What is the purpose of this variables question?

The purpose of this variables question is to assess your understanding of how different variables can affect an experiment or study. It will also test your ability to identify independent and dependent variables, and how to control for confounding variables.

2. How is this variables question different from the previous one?

This variables question is slightly harder than the previous one because it may involve more complex scenarios or multiple variables that need to be considered. It may also require you to think critically and apply your knowledge to solve a problem or answer a question.

3. Can you provide an example of an independent and dependent variable in this question?

An example of an independent variable in this question could be the dosage of a medication given to participants, while a dependent variable could be their blood pressure levels. The independent variable is being manipulated and the dependent variable is being measured to see if there is any effect.

4. How can you control for confounding variables in this question?

To control for confounding variables in this question, you can use random assignment of participants to different groups, use a control group, or match participants based on relevant characteristics. You can also use statistical analysis techniques to control for confounding variables.

5. How can you apply the concepts learned from this variables question to real-life situations?

The concepts learned from this variables question can be applied to real-life situations in various fields such as medicine, psychology, and environmental science. Understanding how different variables can influence outcomes is crucial in designing and conducting experiments and studies, and can help in making informed decisions in everyday life.