Solving for unknown in arccos equation help?

• Thread starter calky117
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve for the unknown variable "x" in a large engineering question. The equation involves the cosine function and the variable "x" is being isolated by multiplying both sides by 150, adding -150, and then dividing by -.77.
calky117
I need help with the following, is it possible to get the below equation into a form like:

THETA = 30a

or somehow get the 'a' on the left hand side?

Equation:

THETA = arccos(1 - 0.005a)Those aren't the exact numbers/arrangement I'm working with but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
calky117 said:
I need help with the following, is it possible to get the below equation into a form like:

THETA = 30a

or somehow get the 'a' on the left hand side?

Equation:

THETA = arccos(1 - 0.005a)

Those aren't the exact numbers/arrangement I'm working with but any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be better if you posted the original problem instead of using numbers and/or an arrangement that isn't exact. Are you trying to solve for a? If so, as long as you're mindful of the domain/range restrictions, why can't you take the cosine of both sides?

Sorry it is a bit hard to post the entire problem as this is only part of quite a large engineering question.

Photo 10-08-11 10 15 49 PM (HDR).jpeg

From the above the unknown is 'x' which is what I want to solve for (again I have skipped out a lot of the working that is irrelevant to you).

If I substitute in THETA to the area 'A' equation then put that into the equation on the bottom I get a huge awful looking equation, only the one unknown but I just don't know how to solve for it. Any guidance please?

You're starting with cos([itex]\theta/2[/itex]) = (150 - .77x)/150.
You solved for [itex]\theta/2[/itex], but didn't solve for x.

To isolate x (i.e., solve for x), multiply both sides of the original equation by 150. Then add -150 to both sides. Finally, divide both sides by -.77 to get x all by itself.

1. What is an arccos equation?

An arccos equation is a mathematical equation that involves the inverse cosine function. It is used to find the angle whose cosine is a given value.

2. How do I solve for an unknown in an arccos equation?

To solve for an unknown in an arccos equation, you need to use the inverse of the cosine function, which is the arccos function. This function can be found on a scientific calculator or you can use the inverse trigonometric identities to solve the equation.

3. What are the steps for solving an arccos equation?

The steps for solving an arccos equation are as follows:
1. Rewrite the equation in the form of arccos(x) = a
2. Take the arccos of both sides of the equation
3. Simplify the equation using inverse trigonometric identities
4. Solve for the unknown variable
5. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can an arccos equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, an arccos equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the cosine function is a periodic function and has multiple values for a given input. However, most equations will have a principal value, which is the main solution that is within a specific range (typically 0 to 180 degrees).

5. How do I know if my solution for an arccos equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if your solution is one of the intersection points.