Problem finding net force

In summary, to find the direction and magnitude of the acceleration of a flea under the influence of a breeze and its weight, the net forces in the x and y direction must be considered separately. The y direction is determined by the force of the flea on the ground and its weight, while the x direction is determined by the force of the breeze. Using these net forces, the acceleration in each direction can be solved for and then combined to determine the overall acceleration magnitude and direction.
jfeyen

Homework Statement

A flea jumps by exerting a force of 1.20 X 10-5 N straight down on the ground. A breeze blowing on the flea parallel to the ground exerts a force of 0.500 X 10-6 N on the flea. Find the direction and magnitude of the acceleration of the flea if its mass is 6.00 X 10-7 kg. Do not neglect the force of gravity.

Homework Equations

a= net F / m
w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found the weight of the flea by multiplying its mass times gravity (6X10-7)(9.8)= 5.88X10-6 N which I'm assuming will be figured into the net F, but I'm not sure exactly where to go from here. Does weight need to be subtracted from the force of the flea on the ground and the force of the breeze on the flea? or does the weight and the force of the flea need to be subtracted from the force of the breeze? am I on the wrong track all together?? Do I need to somehow break it down into x and y components.. in which case I'm more lost than I thought. :)

Also, I suppose the weight needs to be figured into the direction? I tried tan-1(.5X10-6/1.2X10-5) for an angle of 2.39o but the answer in the back of the book is 4.68o so obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The breeze force acts in the x direction, while the weight and ground forces act in the y direction. You have to look at the net forces in the x direction to solve for the acceleration in the x direction, then look at the net force in the y direction to solve for the acceleration in the y direction. Then the acceleration magnitude and direction comes from pythagorus' theorem and basic trig.

I guess I'm just having problems figuring out how to deconstruct this then. I think I was close to having everything snap into place in my mind, but it's gone. Is this the right idea? netFy= Fflea-w= may... ay= 10.2m/s2? and netFx= Fbreeze= max... ax= .83m/s2?

jfeyen said:
I guess I'm just having problems figuring out how to deconstruct this then. I think I was close to having everything snap into place in my mind, but it's gone. Is this the right idea? netFy= Fflea-w= may... ay= 10.2m/s2? and netFx= Fbreeze= max... ax= .83m/s2?
Yes, exactly (I didn't check your numbers, but your equations are correct).. Just be a bit more clear on the direction... Fnety is up...so ay is up..now solve for the mag and direction of a.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known values and variables. The known values are the force of the flea (1.20 X 10-5 N) and the force of the breeze (0.500 X 10-6 N) and the mass of the flea (6.00 X 10-7 kg). The variables are the acceleration of the flea (a) and the direction of the acceleration (θ).

Next, I would use Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (ΣF = ma). In this case, the net force is the sum of the force of the flea, the force of the breeze, and the force of gravity (weight).

So, the equation would be: (1.20 X 10-5 N + 0.500 X 10-6 N - 5.88 X 10-6 N) = (6.00 X 10-7 kg) a

Simplifying, we get: 6.12 X 10-6 N = (6.00 X 10-7 kg) a

Solving for acceleration, we get: a = 10.2 m/s^2

To find the direction of the acceleration, we can use trigonometry. The force of gravity acts straight down, so we can use the tangent function to find the angle θ.

tanθ = (0.500 X 10-6 N) / (1.20 X 10-5 N) = 0.0417

θ = tan^-1(0.0417) = 2.39°

However, this is the angle of the force of the breeze, not the angle of the acceleration. To find the angle of the acceleration, we need to add 180° to the angle of the force of the breeze, since the acceleration is in the opposite direction.

θ = 2.39° + 180° = 182.39°

So, the direction of the acceleration is 182.39° from the horizontal, in the direction opposite of the force of the breeze. The magnitude of the acceleration is 10.2 m/s^2.

In summary, to find the net force and direction of the acceleration, we need to take into account all the forces acting on the flea, including the force of gravity. We

What is net force and why is it important to find it?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is important to find net force because it determines the motion of the object and can help us understand the interactions between different forces.

How do I calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

What happens when the net force is zero?

If the net force is zero, it means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no resultant force to cause motion. The object will either remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

What are some common examples of problem finding net force?

Some common examples of problem finding net force include calculating the force needed to lift an object, determining the acceleration of a car, and understanding the forces involved in a collision between two objects.

How can I apply the concept of net force in real life situations?

Understanding net force can help in many real life situations such as designing structures that can withstand forces, predicting the motion of objects in sports, and calculating the force needed to move heavy objects in construction.