Singular solution for a differential equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the singular solution for Vc'(t) = \frac{(kr + P - c(t)r)}{V}. The singular solution was found by setting a constant value for c(t) in the general solution and it was determined that the concentration remains constant over time. The concept of singular solution was also clarified.
shackdaddy836
Hey, this is my first time on the forums so sorry if I do something wrong...
Let c'(t) = f(c) = [itex]\frac{(kr + P - c(t)r)}{V}[/itex]. Determine the singular solution of Vc'(t)

k, P, r, and V are all constant

I'm not quite sure if this is the correct way to find the singular solution but I used this equation:
Integrating Factor Method:
To solve a linear DE
y' + x(t)y = f(t)

where x and f are continuous on the domain I:
u(t) = e[itex]^\int{x(t) dt}[/itex]

u(t)[y' + x(t)y] = f(t)u(t)

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex][u(t)y(t)] = f(t)u(t)

u(t)y(t) = [itex]\int{f(t)u(t )dt}[/itex] + j

where j is a constant

y = ([itex]\frac{\int{f(t)u(t) dt} + j)}{u(t)}[/itex]

f'(c) = -[itex]\frac{c'(t)r}{V}[/itex]

f'(c) = -[itex]\frac{f(c)r}{V}[/itex]

f'(c) + [itex]\frac{f(c)r}{V}[/itex] = 0

let x = [itex]\frac{r}{V}[/itex]

u = e[itex]^{\int{xdt}}[/itex]

u = e[itex]^{\frac{d}{dt}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex][e[itex]^{\frac{rt}{V}}[/itex]f(c)] = 0

e[itex]^{\frac{rt}{V}}[/itex]f(c) = j

f(c) = [itex]\frac{j}{e^\frac{rt}{V}}[/itex]

There is no singular solution

Now that can't be right can it? I'm completely confused and now I'm second guessing myself everywhere. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, welcome to the forums! Don't worry about doing something wrong, we're all here to learn and help each other out.

First, let's clarify what the singular solution is. In this case, it refers to a solution of the differential equation that cannot be obtained using the general solution. It is a special solution that arises from setting a constant value for the arbitrary constant in the general solution.

Now, let's look at the given equation:
c'(t) = f(c) = \frac{(kr + P - c(t)r)}{V}

To find the singular solution, we need to set a constant value for c(t) in the general solution. So let's assume that c(t) = k, where k is a constant. This means that c'(t) = 0.

Substituting this into the given equation, we get:
0 = f(k) = \frac{(kr + P - kr)}{V} = \frac{P}{V}

So, the singular solution is c(t) = k, where k is a constant and P and V are also constants. This means that the concentration, c(t), remains constant over time.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of singular solution. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a singular solution for a differential equation?

A singular solution for a differential equation is a special type of solution that satisfies the equation but cannot be obtained from the general solution. It is usually characterized by a point where the derivative is undefined or infinite.

2. How is a singular solution different from a general solution?

A general solution to a differential equation contains all possible solutions, including singular solutions. A singular solution is a specific type of solution that cannot be obtained from the general solution.

3. What causes a differential equation to have a singular solution?

A differential equation may have a singular solution when there is a discontinuity or singularity in the equation, such as a point where the derivative is undefined or infinite.

4. Can a singular solution be a valid solution to a differential equation?

Yes, a singular solution can be a valid solution to a differential equation. It satisfies the equation at all points except for the point(s) where it is singular.

5. How can I determine if a differential equation has a singular solution?

The existence of a singular solution in a differential equation can often be determined by examining the equation for any discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, solving the equation and checking for any solutions that cannot be obtained from the general solution can also indicate the presence of a singular solution.