Mechanical System for Lifting and Lowering Weight

In summary, the person is looking for a 115 VAC motor that is capable of raising and lowering a load of up to 150 lbs at a constant speed of 6 inches per second, regardless of changes in the load. They are also wondering if a gearbox will be necessary and are seeking recommendations for parts. To compute the motor specifications, the motor shaft power can be calculated using the weight, acceleration due to gravity, and velocity. It is also recommended to use a small, low end VFD for speed tuning. Additionally, a motor with a nominal speed of 1750rpm may eliminate a variable.
omalleyt
Hi, I am looking for a 115 VAC motor (able to be plugged into an ordinary power outlet) that is capable of raising and lowering a load of up to 150 lbs. (attached to a cable and a pulley) at the speed of 6 inches per second. I want the speed to remain constant even if the load changes. How can I turn this into motor specifications? Also, given the low speed, will I need to use a gearbox with this motor and if so what could I use? Also anyone who could help me out in selecting/recommending parts for this system I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, here are a few starters:

Compute the motor shaft power:

Power = weight * g * vel

weight = 150 lb
g = acceleration due to gravity 9.81 m//s^2
vel = velocity = 6 inch / sec

watch your units.

Now if you put a pulley of radius rp on the shaft, the angular speed is:

angular speed pulley = vel / rp.

If the motor nominal speed is: rpm_motor, the gear reduction is:

gear reduction = rpm_motor / angular speed pulley.

I would also recommend a small, low end VFD so you can tune the speed.

Good answer, Edge.
Just to simplify things, though... any normal 115VAC motor that I've seen runs at 1750rpm. That should eliminate one variable.

What is a mechanical system for lifting and lowering weight?

A mechanical system for lifting and lowering weight is a type of machinery or device that uses physical components and mechanisms to move objects vertically, either upwards or downwards.

What are the different types of mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight?

There are several types of mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight, including pulley systems, lever systems, screw jacks, and hydraulic systems. Each type uses a different combination of components and principles to achieve the desired lifting and lowering action.

How do mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight work?

Mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight work by transferring force through various components such as gears, pulleys, or hydraulics. This force is then used to move the weight in a controlled manner, either by pulling or pushing it vertically.

What are the advantages of using a mechanical system for lifting and lowering weight?

One of the main advantages of using a mechanical system for lifting and lowering weight is the ability to control and adjust the lifting force as needed. These systems also require less physical effort compared to manual lifting, making them more efficient and safer to use.

What are some common applications of mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight?

Mechanical systems for lifting and lowering weight are commonly used in various industries and settings, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. They can also be found in everyday objects, such as elevators, cranes, and car jacks.