Extended Kalman Filter(EKF) concept (SIMULINK)

In summary, the speaker is designing an Extended Kalman Filter in Matlab Simulink to estimate temperature in a permanent magnetic synchronize motor. They have referred to a paper for their covariance matrix and state vector matrices and have built the system in Simulink. However, they are facing undesirable results and have some questions about the initialization of the covariance matrix and the digitalization of the EKF system in Simulink. They have also attached an overview of their EKF design and are seeking advice and recommendations to improve it. The expert suggests initializing the covariance matrix along with the state vector and using a discrete-time method for integration. They also point out that the attached paper describes the process of creating a discrete-time model from a continuous one, which the
Yamx
Hi all,

I am currently designing a Extended Kalman Filter, estimating temperature in a permanent magnetic synchronize motor, in the Matlab Simulink. Attached pdf is the paper i am referring for my covariance matrix and state vector matrices. I have built the system in Simulink but the results are undesirable. I have some questions which hope can help me in my trouble shooting.

1. The covariance matrix P should it be initialized or just designed in a loop format?

2. The EKF system in SIMULINK should it be digitalised or in analog state?

I have also attached the overview of my EKF design would appreciate any advice and recommendations to improve my EKF system.

Greatly Appreciate any help. Cheers

Attachments

• New Picture (4).jpg
    New Picture (4).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,412
  • Fault Diagnosis for Open-Phase Faults of Permanent Magnet Synchronous .pdf
    811.7 KB · Views: 1,141
Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at your attachment yet, but here are comments on your two questions:

1. If you're initializing the state vector, you should initialize the covariance along with (i.e. what is your confidence in your initial state estimate?).

2. Can you be more descriptive? Are you using some special package/toolbox or a third-party subsystem? Not sure what you mean by "digitalised or analog state." If you're asking about integration method, you should use a discrete-time method (Kalman filter is a discrete-time filter, and doesn't use the standard state-space - you probably need to include the time step in your state transition matrix, and additional state derivatives in your state vector compared to a standard x_dot = A*x+B*u system).

Hope this helps.

-Kerry

EDIT: typos

EDIT2: The paper you attached describes the process of creating a discrete-time model from a continuous model (page 2, eqs. 7 and 8) and the screen shot of your simulink model seems to indicate that you've done this. Still not sure what your second questions means.

Last edited:

1. What is an Extended Kalman Filter (EKF)?

The Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) is a nonlinear state estimation algorithm that is used to estimate the state of a dynamic system. It is an extension of the traditional Kalman Filter, which is used for linear systems. The EKF is widely used in various fields such as robotics, navigation, and control systems.

2. How does the EKF work?

The EKF works by using a mathematical model of the system and measurements from sensors to estimate the state of the system. It uses a prediction step to estimate the state at the next time step and then updates the estimate using the measurements obtained at that time step. The EKF also takes into account the uncertainty in the system and measurements to improve the accuracy of the estimates.

3. What are the advantages of using the EKF?

The EKF has several advantages over other state estimation algorithms. It can handle nonlinear systems, which are common in real-world applications. It also considers the uncertainty in the system, making it more accurate than other methods. Additionally, the EKF can be easily implemented and is computationally efficient, making it suitable for real-time applications.

4. What are the limitations of the EKF?

The EKF has some limitations that should be considered when using it. One limitation is that it assumes the system and measurement models are differentiable, which may not always be the case. The EKF is also sensitive to initial conditions and can diverge if the initial estimate is far from the true state. Additionally, the EKF may not perform well if the system is highly nonlinear or if the uncertainty is high.

5. How is the EKF implemented in SIMULINK?

The EKF can be implemented in SIMULINK by using the Extended Kalman Filter block, which is available in the Simulink Control Design toolbox. This block allows the user to specify the system and measurement models, as well as the initial state and covariance. The block also provides options for tuning the filter, such as choosing the integration method and step size. Once the EKF block is configured, it can be connected to the rest of the system model for simulation and analysis.