Harvesting Load Cell from Food Scale

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's idea of making a cheap dynomometer for small electric motors. They are struggling to find a cheap load cell and are considering using a food scale as an alternative. The speaker asks for recommendations for cheap load cells or if anyone has experience using a digital scale's load cell. The response suggests searching for "arduino strain gauge" for affordable options.
KLoux
Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of making a cheap dynomometer for small electric motors, but one of the obstacles I'm encountering is finding a cheap load cell. The best I've done so far is a $75 sensor from Omega, which still requires conditioning. Then it occurred to me that you can get food scales from Amazon for cheap (around $5), which must have some load-sensing element as well as the required conditioning.

So I guess this is really two questions: 1) Any good sources for cheap load cells (I don't really want to buy a strain gauge and make my own - I don't think this would necessarily be cheaper anyway)? or 2) Has anyone pulled apart a digital scale and re-used the load cell? See any problems with this approach?

Thanks!

-Kerry

Engineering news on Phys.org
A strain gauge should not be a problem. Search for "arduino strain gauge" and you'll find lots of projects, and project hardware at reasonable cost.

1. How does a load cell work in a food scale?

A load cell is a type of transducer that converts the force applied to it into an electrical signal. In a food scale, the load cell is typically located underneath the weighing platform and is connected to the display unit. When an object is placed on the platform, the load cell compresses, and the electrical signal is sent to the display, which then calculates the weight of the object based on the amount of compression.

2. Can a load cell be removed from a food scale for other uses?

Yes, a load cell can be removed from a food scale and used for other purposes. However, it is important to note that load cells come in various shapes and sizes, and not all of them may be suitable for other applications. It is also crucial to handle the load cell with care and follow proper calibration procedures if it is to be used in a different setting.

3. Are load cells in food scales accurate?

Yes, load cells used in food scales are designed and calibrated to be highly accurate. However, factors such as environmental conditions and regular wear and tear can affect their accuracy over time. It is essential to regularly calibrate the food scale and ensure it is used in appropriate conditions to maintain accuracy.

4. How do I know if the load cell in my food scale needs to be replaced?

If you notice that your food scale is consistently displaying incorrect weights or if the display is showing an error message, it could be a sign that the load cell needs to be replaced. It is also essential to check for any visible damage or wear on the load cell, as this can affect its accuracy and functionality.

5. How do I properly maintain the load cell in my food scale?

To ensure the longevity and accuracy of the load cell in your food scale, it is essential to follow proper maintenance procedures. This includes regularly cleaning the weighing platform and load cell to prevent any buildup of debris or contaminants. It is also crucial to handle the food scale with care and avoid dropping or subjecting it to excessive force. Additionally, following the manufacturer's recommended calibration schedule can help maintain the load cell's accuracy.