Engineering or teaching? Questions for both professions

In summary: Some of the engineers I know in the UK who went into teaching after graduation have done quite well, using their teaching skills for creating and delivering traning courses (both internally and to customers), mentoring new engineers, etc.So it's not necessarily an "either/or" choice, though changing direction in mid-career is probably not the best way to get rich.
skwissgaar
I've recently posted here on PF about engineering and resolved my issue. I've also been recently trying to truly ignite my passion for what I want to do for the rest of my life.

At the moment, I'm on track to pursue a degree in Engineering (civil or mechanical, from what I hear the Statics class I will be taking next semester will help me decide) which has always been my base attack plan for college.

However, after coming into college, tutoring friends and young minds to help them better understand math and science, the joy of teaching and helping others has really sparked my interest. My dad is a teacher, my sister is a teacher, my aunt and two of my cousins are teachers (one of which teaches at Uni. of Memphis/biochemistry).

Teaching would be an easy transition for me because it seems to run in my family. However, from what I hear from my teaching family members, teacher salaries are not the best and stress can be high. If I were to teach, I would major in physics with a teaching concentration and hopefully go get my masters in physics as well to help obtain an higher salary in teaching as well as cure my thirst for curiosity that is discovering the universe around us.

I feel as though engineering would be the safer route for job security and I would have a more likely chance of being able to relocate out of my hometown to start a life elsewhere (I'm in that "I just want to get out of here" phase).

So question is... do any engineers and/or physics teachers have any say on the matter? Do you truly love what you do? Any responses or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey skwissgaar and welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify for teaching is it strictly university/college or does it include high school?

FWIW I know several engineers in the UK who went into teaching after graduation and later changed to a career in industry, and one who made the transition the other way (taking some time out to get the necessary teaching qualifications). Some of them have made good use of the skills learned in teaching for creating and delivering traning courses (both internally and to customers), mentoring new engineers, etc.

So it's not necessarily an "either/or" choice, though changing direction in mid-career is probably not the best way to get rich. (But nobody who was motivated only by money would be likely to choose teaching as a career anyway).

chiro said:
Hey skwissgaar and welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify for teaching is it strictly university/college or does it include high school?

I would prefer to teach high school, and maybe at a CC with a masters degree somewhere down the line too.

I can understand your dilemma and the struggle to choose between engineering and teaching. Both professions have their own unique challenges and rewards, and it can be difficult to determine which one is the right fit for you.

First and foremost, it's important to follow your passion and what truly sparks your interest. If teaching brings you joy and fulfillment, then it may be worth considering pursuing a career in education. However, it's important to also consider the practicality of your decision, such as job prospects and salary.

In terms of engineering, it is a highly in-demand field with a variety of career opportunities. It also offers the potential for a higher salary and job security. However, it may not satisfy your passion for teaching and helping others in the same way that teaching does.

On the other hand, teaching can be a rewarding and fulfilling career, but it may come with its own challenges such as lower salaries and high levels of stress. It's important to weigh these factors and determine if the rewards outweigh the challenges for you personally.

Ultimately, the decision between engineering and teaching will come down to what you value most in a career and what you are truly passionate about. It's also important to keep in mind that your career path may not be set in stone and you may have the opportunity to explore different options throughout your professional journey.

In terms of advice, I would suggest talking to professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of their experiences and the day-to-day tasks of their jobs. This can help you make a more informed decision and provide valuable insights into both professions.

Good luck in your decision-making process and I wish you success in whichever path you choose.

1. What is the main role of an engineer?

An engineer is responsible for applying scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that solve real-world problems.

2. What skills are needed to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, one needs strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills. Excellent communication, teamwork, and time-management skills are also essential. Additionally, engineers must have a strong understanding of science, technology, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

3. What is the primary responsibility of a teacher?

A teacher's primary responsibility is to educate and guide students in a specific subject or skill. They create lesson plans, deliver lectures, facilitate discussions, and assess student progress. Teachers also provide emotional support and act as mentors for their students.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful teaching career?

A successful teaching career requires strong communication, organization, and time-management skills. Teachers must also have a deep understanding of their subject matter and the ability to adapt their teaching methods to meet the needs of diverse learners. Patience, creativity, and empathy are also important qualities for a teacher.

5. What are some similarities between engineering and teaching?

Both engineering and teaching require strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and time-management skills. Both professions also require continuous learning and adapting to new technologies and techniques. Additionally, both engineers and teachers must work well in a team and have strong communication skills to effectively convey complex information.