Choosing a major, ChemE or MatSci

• Thread starter robertsm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of college rankings and the speaker's experience with switching majors from chemical engineering to materials science. They are concerned about the potential impact on their future career and seek advice on whether an advanced degree is necessary in either field.
robertsm
Hey all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't seem to find it specifically. I recently transferred to a big name 4 year university with the intent to finish my undergrad degree in chemical engineering. I have to admit, I originally had bought into the U.S. News college rankings hype and that is one of a few reasons I chose the school I'm at. Anyway, I took some of the chem e classes and just really didn't enjoy them much, and actually like the mat sci classes I'm taking much better. The thing is our school is ranked quite a bit higher for chemical engineering than it is for materials science and engineering. Do these rankings really matter that much? Could it potentially be damaging to my future career by switching? Does anyone have any experience with anything like this in industry? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Rankings don't matter much, IMO.

What are your plans for after your bachelor's - work or grad school?

I haven't really figured that out yet. I am a career change student, 28 years old. I would love to continue my education and go to grad school but I'm going to just wait and see what the financial situation looks like when the time comes. I still have 2 years to go for the bachelor's. In your opinion, is an advanced degree needed for either of those majors?

1. What is the difference between Chemical Engineering and Materials Science?

Chemical Engineering is focused on the design and operation of processes and systems that involve chemical reactions, while Materials Science is concerned with the properties, structure, and synthesis of materials. In other words, Chemical Engineering deals with the production of chemicals and materials, while Materials Science deals with understanding and improving the properties of those materials.

2. Which major is more in demand in the job market?

Both Chemical Engineering and Materials Science are in high demand in various industries such as manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and energy. However, the demand for Chemical Engineers tends to be slightly higher due to their expertise in process design and optimization.

3. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in ChemE or MatSci?

Chemical Engineering graduates can work in a variety of industries, including energy production, pharmaceuticals, and food processing. Materials Science graduates can work in fields such as electronics, aerospace, and biomedical engineering. Both majors also have opportunities in research and development, consulting, and management positions.

4. Which major has a higher salary potential?

Salary potential can vary greatly depending on the specific job, industry, and location. Generally, Chemical Engineers tend to have a higher median salary compared to Materials Science graduates. However, both majors have the potential for high-paying careers.

5. Can I switch between ChemE and MatSci majors?

While there may be some overlap in coursework, switching between these two majors may require additional courses and could potentially delay graduation. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your major. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or research opportunities can help you determine which major is the best fit for your interests and career goals.