Derivation of lorentz transformation?

In summary, the Lorentz transformation equations relate the moving speed, direction, and time of two different reference frames.
Aziza
I would like to know a simple way of understanding how to derive the Lorentz transformation equations. My book states them without proof and on websites I only see complicated proofs that I am not mathematically ready for yet. Ok so I think i understand x'=γ(x-vt), but let me say it in my own words and have it confirmed as right just in case:

Suppose a reference frame with origin O' is moving at velocity v with respect to frame origin O and let's say an event happens at some point in space. O' has left O a time t ago (according to O), and O sees the event a distance x away, and O' sees the event a distance x' away. However, x' is actually shorter due to length contraction than it would have been had O' been at rest with respect to O. Therefore, to relate x to x', x must be the distance from O to O' (which is vt) plus the distance that x' would have seen had it been at rest with O, so we lengthen x' by multiplying x' by γ, so x=vt+x'γ and rearrangement leads to the conventional form.
Am i interpreting this right?

Now what i really don't understand is t'=γ(t-vx/c^2)...So if x' is the distance for O' to the event, and x is the distance for O to the event, and since in the previous equation, t was the time according to O that it took for O' to get a distance vt away, then in this equation, t' should be the time it took for O' to get that same distance away from O. So according to O', it took him the time t' to get the contracted distance vt/γ away from O. So t' is just t/γ...which is right but i don't see how it leads to above Lorentz equation...i feel I am maybe misinterpreting what t' is supposed to mean?note: i am trying to follow the diagram my book has drawn...i am assuming the labels it uses are supposed to correspond to the variables of the equations..but it doesn't specify what t' is, which is causing me confusion! :

http://af10.mail.ru/cgi-bin/readmsg?id=13354810280000000090;0;1&mode=attachment

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wait no i am confused again now about the first equation...i wrote in my first post that x=vt+x'γ but obviously that's wrong since the last term should be x'/γ...but if x' is already the shortened distance, why are we shortening it even more?? I mean if L=Lp/γ, where L is the contracted length and Lp is the proper length, then in this case, the proper distance to the event from O' is x-vt and the contracted distance is x'. so x'=(x-vt)/γ...but it should be x'=γ(x-vt) ?

Last edited:
Aziza said:
wait no i am confused again now about the first equation...i wrote in my first post that x=vt+x'γ but obviously that's wrong since the last term should be x'/γ...but if x' is already the shortened distance, why are we shortening it even more?? I mean if L=Lp/γ, where L is the contracted length and Lp is the proper length, then in this case, the proper distance to the event from O' is x-vt and the contracted distance is x'. so x'=(x-vt)/γ...but it should be x'=γ(x-vt) ?

x and t are measurements made in the unprimed frame, and x' and t' are measurements made in the primed frame. They both think they are at rest.

So in [itex]x=vt+\frac{x'}{\gamma}[/itex], the distance x (in the unprimed frame) is equal to the distance vt (in the unprimed frame) plus the contracted version of whatever the primed observer measures.

In [itex]\frac{x}{\gamma}=vt'+x'[/itex], the distance vt'+x' is the distance that they frames move apart according to the primed observer, plus the distance x'. According the the primed observer, this should be equal to the contracted version of whatever the unprimed observer measures as x (because the unprimed observer is moving according to him).

Here's a nice physically-motivated derivation due to Bondi:
http://archive.org/details/RelativityCommonSense

start at p. 76 to understand the "k-factor" (the doppler factor)
see the diagram on p. 95
p. 102 has the formula for k in terms of v
p. 117 derives the Lorentz Transformation, followed by applications

Aziza said:

The "contracted length" is still a confusing term for me. Right now, I use "contracted ruler" to understand it. I think, what actually contracted are all objects in the moving system which includes rulers. That means the moving observer uses the contracted ruler to measure distance between two points so that the result is actually a longer length. Do you think so?

If you think so, in your first post, to the stationary observer, the x will change to x=vt+(x'/γ) so that x'=γ(x-vt) ---(1).

There is another way to derive the time equation after the γ is proved. If you replace the x' in the inverse spatial equation x=γ(x'+vt') ---(2) by γ(x-vt) in (1), then you will get the time equation of Lorentz transformation.

That means, if he assumed (1) was correct, then, based on the principle of relativity, (2) must be correct and Mr. Lorentz could easily derive his transformation.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation and how is it derived?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. It is derived from the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light in all inertial reference frames.

2. What are the key assumptions made in the derivation of the Lorentz transformation?

The key assumptions are the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames, and the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same in all inertial reference frames.

3. How does the Lorentz transformation affect measurements of time and distance?

The Lorentz transformation shows that time and distance are relative and can appear differently depending on the observer's reference frame. Time can appear to pass slower and distances can appear to be shorter in moving reference frames compared to stationary ones.

4. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to any type of motion, as long as it is uniform and does not involve acceleration or gravity. It is a fundamental principle in special relativity and has been extensively tested and validated in various experiments.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation impact our understanding of the universe?

The Lorentz transformation plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by providing a mathematical framework for special relativity. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as time dilation and length contraction, and has fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time.