Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying for REU programs, with participants sharing the programs they are applying to and discussing the possibility of grouping together related subjects in one thread. They also discuss their experiences with the application process and ask questions about recommendations and whether being an older student may be considered an underrepresented group. Participants also share their acceptance and rejection from programs, and discuss the workload and the potential of taking online courses while participating in an REU.
burgandyduck said:
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia/Nevis Labs? Heard they may be sending acceptance e-mails today.

I also heard they were looking at applications today. Seems like I didn't get in ;(.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have heard back from Old Dominion and Rutgers physics thus far. Will be disappointed if Columbia/Nevis made offers today as they were a top choice for me.

I was accepted to both Oregon State and Willamette's WiVaM in the past week, but now I don't know which is better. They're about 20 minutes away from each other and the stipend's nearly exactly the same. Oregon State seems to have a decent reputation? Anyone know where Willamette's REU stands?

Also, got rejected from SMALL after royally messing up on the phone portion. Good to get that off my chest :/

In the past couple of days I've gotten positive replies from NC State and UT Tyler for math. Does anyone know anything about either of these programs?

lenny56 said:
In the past couple of days I've gotten positive replies from NC State and UT Tyler for math. Does anyone know anything about either of these programs?

Were you accepted at NC State? Looked like a great program, I applied there but didn't expect to hear anything since my major is not math. I was just curious if they'd already made decisions.

MechE2015 said:
Were you accepted at NC State? Looked like a great program, I applied there but didn't expect to hear anything since my major is not math. I was just curious if they'd already made decisions.

Yeah, I received the email this afternoon.

@lenny56 Congrats!

If anyone has heard from the following, I would love to hear. I applied to these schools:

Vanderbilt Engineering (have not heard)
Northwestern Physics (have not heard)
Alabama Engineering (have not heard)
UCSB Engineering (have not heard)
NNIN Engineering (will hear March 11)
Florida Engineering (will hear March 15)
Georgetown Engineering (have not heard)
Wisconsin Engineering (have not heard)
Indiana Math (have not heard)
NC State Math (have not heard - first offers sent today?)

I declined REMRSEC in the hope that either NNIN, COINS, E3S or CIAN would come through. The guy in charge of REMRSEC is super-duper nice and it sounds like a fantastic program, I really hope I didn't make an awful mistake.

I got a positive reply from Rutgers physics as well as Wyoming astronomy.

As a reminder to everyone who has applied, please withdraw your other applications once you have committed to a program. That makes it so anyone on the wait lists can hear back before having to commit to a different, less desirable program. When you don't withdraw applications, it can potentially screw people over since most places only give you a week to decide.

Just got a call from Idaho State for Physics, accepted. But I declined :/ . Wish I could be at two REU's at once!

Has anyone here had experience/know anything about the Central Michigan REU for math?

NRAO- on the wait list
Rutgers- "high" on the wait list
Did anyone else hear from Rutgers?

Astrotastic said:
NRAO- on the wait list
Rutgers- "high" on the wait list
Did anyone else hear from Rutgers?

I applied to the DIMACS/DIMATIA REU at Rutgers... haven't heard anything.

usnavi13 said:
I applied to the DIMACS/DIMATIA REU at Rutgers... haven't heard anything.

Ah. I applied for physics.

verdricity said:
Has anyone here had experience/know anything about the Central Michigan REU for math?

Yeah; my professor at Colorado Mesa is actually a guest sponsor there. I don't think they've started offers just yet.

arubirurei said:
Yeah; my professor at Colorado Mesa is actually a guest sponsor there. I don't think they've started offers just yet.

Thanks for the information! Do you also know anything about the program itself, whether people have had positive experiences there, etc?

anyone heard back from cornell yet?

notphysicsguy said:
anyone heard back from cornell yet?

Applied to math REU at Cornell and haven't heard anything.

verdricity said:
Thanks for the information! Do you also know anything about the program itself, whether people have had positive experiences there, etc?

Sorry; no clue

Got an offer from LSU.

And only 3 days to decide. Yikes! If I don't get any others by then I'll certainly accept it (and maybe will anyway of course).

I got an offer from Michigan State. If anyone here has gone to this reu before, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

For those of you getting offers for physics REUs, are you getting an email or phone call? Quite a few of the ones I've applied to were due Feb 15th and a couple were Feb 1st, and I have yet to hear anything.

What is a REU? Is there one for engineering?

deekin said:
For those of you getting offers for physics REUs, are you getting an email or phone call? Quite a few of the ones I've applied to were due Feb 15th and a couple were Feb 1st, and I have yet to hear anything.

I got an e-mail and I think that's the typical offer. The Michigan State physics reu I got an offer from isn't due until March 15. I think for most programs 1st offers have already been made or will later this week.

Anyone hear anything from William & Mary or Purdue (physics)?
Also, thoughts on when it would be appropriate to email the programs to ask when they'll be sending out notifications?

Is there a place where people have described their experiences with certain REUs? Obviously the first determining factor should be interest in the project and "fit"-ness, but it would help to hear what people have to say as well.

Mozartean said:
Is there a place where people have described their experiences with certain REUs? Obviously the first determining factor should be interest in the project and "fit"-ness, but it would help to hear what people have to say as well.

Harvard's math club has a page for REU's, but a lot of it is outdated. Still worth a look

Has anyone heard from the following places, or know if they sent out offers?
DIMACS/DIMATIA (Rutgers)
Cal State San Bernardino
RIPS
James Madison
Texas A&M
Penn State
George Washington
Cornell
Worcester Polytech.
Boise State

Thanks!

Has anyone heard from UC Davis or UIUC? Did anyone here apply to/hear from Santa Fe Institute for Complexity, purely out of curiosity?

For the Math REU's, and for MASS, I know that Cornell and Penn State made their first round of offers over the weekend.

usnavi13 said:
Has anyone heard from the following places, or know if they sent out offers?
DIMACS/DIMATIA (Rutgers)
Cal State San Bernardino
RIPS
James Madison
Texas A&M
Penn State
George Washington
Cornell
Worcester Polytech.
Boise State

Thanks!
I know RIPS has already sent out offers.

cjohns said:
Anyone hear anything from William & Mary or Purdue (physics)?
Also, thoughts on when it would be appropriate to email the programs to ask when they'll be sending out notifications?

William and Mary has made first offers, no idea on Purdue. I think it's probably early to email unless you have offers already that you have to decide on soon.

Has anyone heard back from Cornell's astronomy REU or SAO?

Errerrachat said:
Has anyone heard back from Cornell's astronomy REU or SAO?

SAO made their first offers on Friday. I didn't get one but I know someone who did. Most astronomy REU programs make their initial offers on March 1st so I would assume Cornell did as well.

Has anyone heard from any of the following?:

Center of Integrated Nanomechanical Systems (COINS) REU
Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (E3S) REU
CIAN Integrated Optics for Undergraduates REU
Colorado Renewable Energy Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (REMRSEC) REU
Princeton Center for Complex Materials REU
UCSB Materials Research Lab Research Internships in Science and Engineering
Summer Research Early Identification Program