Is the Sky Disc of Nebra a genuine ancient artifact or a modern forgery?

• Thread starter mouseonmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Sky
In summary, a dispute has arisen over the authenticity of the Sky Disc of Nebra, a 3,600-year-old disc depicting the stars and planets which is considered to be the oldest depiction of the heavens. While Germany's museum establishment claims it to be genuine, some experts suggest it may be a modern forgery. The material of the disc could be examined to determine its age, but there is also a debate over whether the disc is a map of the stars or of a specific area in central Asia. However, it is difficult to verify its accuracy due to the possibility of stars burning out or
mouseonmoon
Source; The Guardian - London, UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1427600,00.html

03-01-05

Ancient Sky Map Or Fake? German Experts Row Over Star Disc

Luke Harding in Berlin
The Guardian

quote:"One of Germany's most acclaimed archaeological finds - a 3,600-
year-old disc depicting the stars and the planets - is at the
centre of a dispute following claims that it is a modern
forgery.

According to Germany's museum establishment, the Sky Disc of
Nebra is the oldest depiction of the heavens discovered and
offers an insight into the Bronze Age mind."

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146412072
Thats a tuff call, but in the art of that period one can trace, for the first time, vivid plots, related with the mythology so a star chart is not that far fetched.
The material is what should be investagated, there are ways to tell new{made to look old} metals from old. I'm suprised it hasen't already been done.

Check this out. A map supposedly drawn from space, that is possibly 120 million years old.

Map of the creator

I read about this, and I was very interested in it, but I have heard nothing since.

The skymap looks moderately interesing - the piece of grooved sedementary rock looks pretty mundane.

So let me get this straight:

Piece of rock has grooves which resemble rocks elsewhere

Thefore

ALIENS/GOD

The logic escapes me!

Alkatran said:
The logic escapes me!
Logic? I think I see your problem... :rolleyes:

The articles implied that this was not just rock, but were large fused layered objects about 1 foot thick, and seven feet in heighth. I read that this was clearly a topo map of the area, where the large items have been for 120 million years, as the first account read. It was also said that the roughly rectangular pieces fit together, and had something like crop marks or marks of making.

It would be so cool to find something like that. The central asian land mass would be the only place I can think of that might hold evidence of the sort, since it has been a land mass for a very long time. I think that oldest "made" artifacts of any kind should be found there.

I think I am thinking about some different sky maps, meaning these were perfect topo maps of an area in central asia. Not the European sky map. Sorry.

Hey Dayle, Pravda has gone the way of the grocery store papers - they'll print anything these days. Moscow News is barely any better.

mouseonmoon said:
Ancient Sky Map Or Fake? German Experts Row Over Star Disc

Interested to see how this develops. I think National Geographic ran a story about the disc back in Jan 2004. If it's a real artifact, it's an amazing find. If not, then :grumpy:

Dayle Record said:
I read that this was clearly a topo map of the area, where the large items have been for 120 million years, as the first account read. It was also said that the roughly rectangular pieces fit together, and had something like crop marks or marks of making.
Clearly, according to whom? Remember, this alleged map contains vast features that do not exist today. How can we really know the accuracy of a map that shows things that don't exist? The Grand Canyon is only about 70 million years old - little to nothing of what that map shows would exist today and be identifiable.

Russ, pamphlets at the Grand Canyon, sold by the park service, state, that the Grand Canyon is only ~4000 years old! Hee. I just thought that whole article was interesting, I think that there is considerable resistance to any idea that conflicts with our preferred history, what ever that might be.

Last edited:
http://uanews.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/wa/MainStoryDetails%3FArticleID%3D5820 [Broken] Growing numbers of geologists now believe that Marble Canyon and the Inner Gorge may be no more than 700,000 years old — veritable infants on the geologic time scale, and much younger than the earlier 3-million- to 5-million–year-old estimates. Some scientists now believe that a third of the canyon’s depth may have been cut in the blink of a geologic eye — perhaps during the past 600,000 to 700,000 years

Last edited by a moderator:
How can we really know the accuracy of a map that shows things that don't exist?
I'm assuming you mean the star map, and according to my perception of it it is merely an engraving of the stars in the sky, of which stars do burn out...and light stops coming to earth..so thus things that were then, could have burned out by now

hmmm...

maybe there is more in the mahabharata and ramayana about vailixi and vimana than meets the eye

TsunamiJoe said:
I'm assuming you mean the star map, and according to my perception of it it is merely an engraving of the stars in the sky, of which stars do burn out...and light stops coming to earth..so thus things that were then, could have burned out by now

Don't you think that makes it a little difficult to verify? :biggrin:

This brings up an interesting question. Does anyone know how many previously visible stars have disappeared or gone Nova, in recorded history? I would only expect a few, at most.

TsunamiJoe said:
No, I mean the topo map.

oh, well then wheather erotion, and perhaps it was made before the ice age, or during the later stages, i mean after all its said the entire grand canyon and rocky mountain range was formed from a giant glacier sliding across the americas

Ivan, Granted it would have to be verified that those stars did once exist, personaly i believe that its possible to have been created long ago, but yes i do see where your coming - also does anyone know the ave lifespan of a star?

TsunamiJoe said:
oh, well then wheather erotion, and perhaps it was made before the ice age, or during the later stages, i mean after all its said the entire grand canyon and rocky mountain range was formed from a giant glacier sliding across the americas
That was my point - if nothing on it exists today, how do we know its really a map?

I once found a rock shaped like the Effifel Tower, with eched lines of the cable lights and everything. Problem, the rock was shaped about 500,000 befor the tower was built.
So in my right brained thinking..the topographical rock is the key of things yet to be.

1. What is the Sky Disc of Nebra?

The Sky Disc of Nebra is a bronze disc, approximately 30 cm in diameter, that was discovered in 1999 in Germany. It is believed to have been created during the European Bronze Age (approximately 1600 BCE).

2. Is there evidence to support the authenticity of the Sky Disc of Nebra?

Yes, there is extensive evidence that supports the authenticity of the Sky Disc of Nebra. This includes scientific tests such as chemical analysis of the materials used, as well as archaeological evidence, such as the context in which it was found.

3. What makes the Sky Disc of Nebra significant?

The Sky Disc of Nebra is significant because it is one of the oldest known representations of the cosmos. It depicts the sun, moon, stars, and possible constellations, and provides insight into the astronomical knowledge and beliefs of the Bronze Age civilization.

4. Why do some people question the authenticity of the Sky Disc of Nebra?

Some people question the authenticity of the Sky Disc of Nebra because of its intricate design and advanced astronomical knowledge, which they believe may have been beyond the capabilities of Bronze Age civilizations. Additionally, the disc was discovered by illegal treasure hunters, leading some to question its origins.

5. How can we be sure that the Sky Disc of Nebra is not a modern forgery?

Extensive scientific and archaeological research has been conducted on the Sky Disc of Nebra, including radiocarbon dating, chemical analysis, and comparison with other artifacts from the same time period. These studies have consistently supported its authenticity and have ruled out the possibility of it being a modern forgery.

Back