Can you boost RF signal power with a generic op amp?

In summary, there is a significant difference between an RF amplifier and a single rail operational amplifier, with the former being specifically designed for voice modulation levels and higher frequencies. While a generic op amp can technically be used to boost the power of an RF signal, it would not work as well as an RF amp. When dealing with RF signals, it is recommended to use properly terminated coax cables and SMA connectors, specifically designed for 50 Ohms. The Analog Devices RF differential amplifiers are a highly recommended option for RF amplification. To connect a wire to a coax cable, the best way is to use a small PCB with the chip and a trace going right to a BNC connector, or solder the wire directly to the BNC connector's
amanno
Sorry if this seems like a simple question, but I am new to RF systems.

Is there a difference between an RF amplifer and a single rail operational amplifer? Or can you boost the power of an RF signal with a generic op amp?

Also, when dealing with an RF signal, are coax cables and SMA connectors more ideal (esp with higher frequencies)?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Op amps are typically way too slow to amplify an RF signal. A properly compensated op-amp amplifier has a constant Gain-Bandwidth product. Since these op amps have very high gain, they have low bandwidth.

For RF you either have to buy an RF amp or make one yourself using an RF transistor.

And yes, properly terminated coax and SMA connectors are best for RF. Be careful that you know the characteristic impedance of the coax you want to use. If it is intended for cable TV it may be 75 Ohms and you would need SMB connectors designed for 75 Ohms (I think SMAs only come in 50 Ohms).

Good luck!

Carl

RF amps are specifically designed to deal with voice modulation levels an op amp could be used however would not work nearly as well particularly with the higher frequencies.

For cabling you want 50 ohm cable do not use RJ-6 which is 75 ohm. You will damage equipment through impedance mismatch. RJ-58 is a good cable for short runs LMR400 and superflex cable are larger diameter cables for larger runs. Lower loss preferable, of which their are numerous 50 ohm cables to choose from. Yes its all coax.

Carl,

Thanks for the reply. That makes much more sense now. Could you recommend any RF amps or RF transistors you have used in the past? There are so many lol. My application has a frequency of around 2000 MHz and I am looking for a gain around 15-20 dbm.

Any suggestions would be appericated.
Thanks for the help.

Another quick question regarding the cables. I have the 50 ohm coax (RJ-58). What is the best way to connect a wire to a coax cable.

In other words, the signal I received out of an IC chip (mixer) is just on a standard IC pin or wire. I want to get that into a coax cable. What is the best way to make that a solid connection. Or is that even possible?

Thanks again for the help.

amanno said:
Carl,

Thanks for the reply. That makes much more sense now. Could you recommend any RF amps or RF transistors you have used in the past? There are so many lol. My application has a frequency of around 2000 MHz and I am looking for a gain around 15-20 dbm.

Any suggestions would be appericated.
Thanks for the help.

The Analog Devices RF differential amplifiers are works of art. They are as easy to use as op amps. I highly recommend them.

http://www.analog.com/en/specialty-...al-amplifiers/ada4960-1/products/product.html

amanno said:
Another quick question regarding the cables. I have the 50 ohm coax (RJ-58). What is the best way to connect a wire to a coax cable.

In other words, the signal I received out of an IC chip (mixer) is just on a standard IC pin or wire. I want to get that into a coax cable. What is the best way to make that a solid connection. Or is that even possible?

Thanks again for the help.

The best way is to use a small PCB with the chip and a trace going right to a BNC connector as close to the pin as possible. If it MUST be free space just solder the wire to the BNC connector's conductor. Be aware that you will be picking up a TON of noise and interference.

Great! Thanks for the recommendation. Okay I was going to try something like that but I was afraid there was going to be a ton of noise. Is it possible that Ferritte beads would help that at all, or an I am doomed to have the noise? lol

amanno said:
Great! Thanks for the recommendation. Okay I was going to try something like that but I was afraid there was going to be a ton of noise. Is it possible that Ferritte beads would help that at all, or an I am doomed to have the noise? lol

If you can do a PCB you might be OK. You just don't want a lot of unshielded wire. If you make it short enough twisted pair could work, too.

Great, I will give it a try. Thanks for the help!

ferrite beads do help but not by much your better off making a bandpass filter for the desired frequency range and filter out the unwanted noise. If say your filtering for 150 mhz as the carrier you will need a 25 khrz range plus or minus for voice modulation and privacy tones if applicable. Their are duplexers designed for RF uses that are adjustable if you have the right test equipment if not get the manufacturer to tune the duplexer.

edit just saw the above post which is also good advice on the sheilding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplexer

Last edited:
Hi amanno

just something for your learning :)
power gains/losses are measured in dB, actual power produced is measured in dBm
0dBm = 1mW, 10dBm = 10mW, 20dBm = 100mW, 30dBm = 1W etc

for 2GHz that you are interested in there's lots of excellent MMIC's from places like Minicircuits
These can easily be cascaded ... there is a large variety with various gains and frequency responses and
noise figures.
MAR1 - MAR8; ERA1 to ERA5 just to name 2 of the series

here's a pretty conventional way to mount SMA connectors on a PCB...

attachment.php?attachmentid=60193&stc=1&d=1373514494.jpg

here's a pretty conventional way connect coax to a board ...
this is actually a 2GHz synth that I deal with

attachment.php?attachmentid=60194&stc=1&d=1373514882.jpg

Teflon dielectric coax is the preferred type as you can solder all the way around the braid to the ground plane

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• qpvfig2.jpg
    qpvfig2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 474
  • Comwave 2GHz Synth2.jpg
    Comwave 2GHz Synth2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 529
here's a really nice 2GHz directional coupler using both N type and SMA type connectors

attachment.php?attachmentid=60195&stc=1&d=1373515448.jpg

big secret when soldering centre pin/flat tab of connector to the PCB track is to have as little
solder as possible... a process called "sweating". This is where you tin the connector pin and the track bring them together and heat then to the tiny amount of solder there melts and flows
there is absolutely NO EXCESS solder ... that is, no big blob/mound of solder

This becomes more critical the higher in frequency you go.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG1974B.jpg
    IMG1974B.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 498

1. What is the main difference between RF amplifiers and op amps?

The main difference between RF amplifiers and op amps is their intended use. RF amplifiers are designed specifically for amplifying radio frequency signals, while op amps are designed for amplifying and processing low-frequency signals.

2. Can I use an RF amplifier instead of an op amp?

No, it is not recommended to use an RF amplifier instead of an op amp. RF amplifiers have a limited bandwidth and are not suitable for amplifying low-frequency signals. Op amps, on the other hand, have a wider bandwidth and are designed for low-frequency applications.

3. Which one is better for high-frequency applications, RF amplifiers or op amps?

RF amplifiers are better for high-frequency applications because they are designed specifically for amplifying radio frequency signals. They have a higher gain and better performance at high frequencies compared to op amps.

4. Can I use an op amp for RF applications?

Yes, you can use an op amp for RF applications, but it may not perform as well as an RF amplifier. Op amps have a limited bandwidth and may not be able to amplify high-frequency signals effectively. It is recommended to use an op amp for low-frequency applications.

5. What are some common applications for RF amplifiers and op amps?

RF amplifiers are commonly used in wireless communication systems, radar systems, and radio frequency circuits. Op amps are commonly used in audio and video equipment, instrumentation, and control systems.