Integration with exponential and inverse power

In summary, the given integration involves a two-component vector and two constants, with a possible case of a\rightarrow \infty leading to the use of Feynman parameterization. In the general case, the result involves the incomplete gamma function and can be obtained by converting the integration to polar coordinates and using a formula for the integration of cosine.
phypar
I confront an integration with the following form:

[itex] \int d^2{\vec q} \exp(-a \vec{q}^{2}) \frac{\vec{k}^{2}-\vec{k}\cdot
\vec{q}}{((\vec q-\vec k)^{2})(\vec{q}^{2}+b)}
[/itex]
where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are some constants, [itex]\vec{q} = (q_1, q_2)[/itex] and [itex]\vec{k} = (k_1, k_2)[/itex] are two-components vectors.

In the case of [itex]a\rightarrow \infty [/itex] in which the exponential becomes 1, I can perform the integration using Feynman parameterization.

In the general case I have now idea to calculate it. I know the answer is

[itex]\pi \exp(ab)\left(\Gamma(0,ab)-\Gamma(0,a(\vec{k}^2+b))\right)[/itex]

where [itex]\Gamma(0,x)=\int_x^\infty t^{-1} e^{-t}\,dt [/itex] is the incomplete gamma function.

But i don't know how to arrive at this result. can someone give any clue to perform this kind of integration? thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would try using Feynman parametrization anyways, and than convert the integration to polar coordinates (The fact that you end up with an incomplete gamma function is a clue that polar coordinates were used).

dauto said:
I would try using Feynman parametrization anyways, and than convert the integration to polar coordinates (The fact that you end up with an incomplete gamma function is a clue that polar coordinates were used).

Thanks. I just found the solution from another paper. So first one should perform the integration to polar coordinates using the formula:
[itex] \int_0^\pi d\theta \cos(n\theta)/( 1+a\cos(\theta))=\left(\pi/\sqrt{1-a^2}\right)\left((\sqrt{1-a^2}-1)/ a\right)^n,~~~a^2<1,~~n\geq0[/itex]
then perform the integration on [itex]p^2[/itex] will yield the above result.

Last edited:

What is integration with exponential and inverse power?

Integration with exponential and inverse power is a mathematical concept that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that contains both exponential and inverse power terms. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is the general formula for integrating functions with exponential and inverse power terms?

The general formula for integration with exponential and inverse power is ∫eᵃˣ/xᵇ dx = (eᵃˣ)/(a+b) + C, where a and b are constants and C is the constant of integration. This formula can be used to integrate a wide range of functions that contain exponential and inverse power terms.

What are some common techniques used to solve integration problems with exponential and inverse power?

Some common techniques used to solve integration problems with exponential and inverse power include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. These techniques can help simplify the original function and make it easier to integrate.

How is integration with exponential and inverse power used in real-world applications?

Integration with exponential and inverse power is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the rate of change in a physical system, determining the growth or decay of a population, and solving problems in economics and finance. It is also essential in the fields of engineering, physics, and chemistry.

What are some tips for solving integration problems with exponential and inverse power?

Some tips for solving integration problems with exponential and inverse power include simplifying the function using algebraic manipulation, choosing the appropriate integration technique, and carefully selecting the limits of integration. It is also important to check your answer using differentiation to ensure its correctness.