Scattering in Solid State Theory.

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Kittel's book on Solid state physics" and its treatment of scattering processes. The speaker expresses concerns about the lack of rigour and mathematical treatment in the book, and asks for clarification on the mechanisms behind various types of scattering. They also discuss the book "Ashcroft and Mermin" as a better treatment of the subject and recommend it. The concept of Umklapp scattering is also brought up, with the speaker questioning the lack of identification of a "force" or "recoil" in the book. The responder explains that in Umklapp scattering, the missing momentum is transferred onto the crystal as a whole, but for an infinitely large crystal, the change in energy is negligible. They
siddharth5129
I've been reading Kittel's book on Solid state physics and while it's been mostly smooth sailing, the abrupt loss of rigour in places in unsettling. In particular, the bits about scattering seem to be just thrown in here and there without any rigourous mathematical treatment at all.

He talks about electron-phonon , phonon-phonon, and x ray - phonon scattering processes. What exactly are the mechanisms behind these processes. How and why does this kind of scattering occur. Further, how does phonon and electron scattering off a lattice imperfection occur? Surely, there must be some kind of theory behind scattering which makes all this rigourous.

Secondly, he says that phonon-phonon scattering processes can only occur by an anharmonic interaction. I'm not sure if I've understood this. What exactly does this mean ?

An lastly, Umklapp scattering. I get how the mathematics behind the whole things works out, but if you're claiming that momentum isn't conserved in a certain process, shouldn't you identify the force in play that makes it happen? Shouldn't there be some kind of 'recoil' or 'force' associated with the addition of a reciprocal lattice vector G. The book I'm using doesn't identify any such 'force' or 'recoil'.

Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to look at Ashcroft and Mermin?

No. I haven't. I've heard it's a much better treatment of the subject though. Would you recommend it highly ?

Yes. I very much prefer Ashcroft and Mermin over Kittel.

For Umklapp scattering, the assumption is usually that the "missing" momentum is transferred onto the crystal as a whole. For an (near) infinite crystal the mass is (near) infinite, such that the recoil velocity is (near) zero, and also the kinetic energy transferred to the crystal as a whole is (near) zero (p^2/2m).

But then wouldn't enough of these phonon-phonon U-processes cause the crystal as a whole to recoil with an appreciable velocity? Or an appreciable increase in the kinetic energy of the crystal.

I also recommend very much Ashcroft and Mermin.
A phonon is an eigenstate of the harmonic part of the hamiltonian, thus phonon phonon scattering must be due to anharmonic terms. You can check this expanding e.g. a Q^3 term in terms of phonon creation and anihiliation operators.
Concerning Umklapp scattering, true momentum is conserved in these processes and is taken up by the crystal, however, for an infinitely large crystal, the change in energy is negligible. On the other hand, crystal momentum isn't conserved, but it is a completely different quality than true momentum.

1. What is scattering in solid state theory?

Scattering in solid state theory refers to the interaction of particles with the crystal lattice of a solid material. This interaction can cause changes in the direction and energy of the particles, leading to various phenomena such as electrical resistance and thermal conductivity.

2. What are the types of scattering in solid state theory?

There are several types of scattering in solid state theory, including elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and phonon scattering. Elastic scattering involves particles bouncing off the crystal lattice without any change in their energy. Inelastic scattering, on the other hand, results in a change in energy of the particles. Phonon scattering occurs when particles interact with lattice vibrations, or phonons, in the material.

3. How does scattering affect the properties of solid materials?

Scattering plays a crucial role in determining the properties of solid materials. For example, scattering of electrons by the crystal lattice is responsible for electrical resistance, while scattering of phonons affects thermal conductivity. Scattering also impacts the optical properties of solids, such as their ability to absorb and emit light.

4. What techniques are used to study scattering in solid state theory?

There are several experimental techniques used to study scattering in solid state theory, including X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, and electron microscopy. Theoretical methods, such as density functional theory, are also used to model and understand scattering phenomena in solids.

5. What are some applications of scattering in solid state theory?

Scattering in solid state theory has many practical applications, including in the development of new materials with specific properties. It is also used in the study of semiconductor devices, such as transistors, and in the design of solar cells. Additionally, scattering techniques are used in the analysis of biological and environmental samples.