Dark matter distribution around black holes.

In summary: So an extrapolation from there is not going to give you much reliable information.I was referring to examining stellar motion in the central parts of the galaxy and noting deviations, etc. should provide a start in getting the needed information...That's a good idea. Start by examining the stellar motion near the center of the galaxy and see if there are any strange deviations. Then try to figure out what could be causing the deviations.
majormuss
For my research on astrophysics for the summer, a professor gave me this assignment but I don't know where to start. The question is: What methods could be used to find the dark matter distribution around a galaxy's central black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps start by researching how one determines dark matter distribution around a galaxy and extrapolate downward :)

I'm thinking the question may be designed to determine your (and our) understanding of the nature of Dark Matter and it's interactions. Ask yourself if we know if Black Holes make any or any substantial difference to Dark Matter and it's distribution. In fact, what does seem to affect it's distribution? Is there any relationship from which to extrapolate?

Likes 1 person
rexregisanimi said:
Perhaps start by researching how one determines dark matter distribution around a galaxy and extrapolate downward :)
That's not a good idea. If you do that for, say, an NFW halo you get towards infinite density at the centre.

If you are referring to the black hole at the centre of our galaxy, there are stars that can be used as tracers of potential and thus could get you a dark matter distribution. However, there is a slight snag to doing that, which I will leave you to figure out :-)

EdgePenguin said:
That's not a good idea. If you do that for, say, an NFW halo you get towards infinite density at the centre.

I was referring to examining stellar motion in the central parts of the galaxy. Examining the motion of stars in orbit around the central black hole and noting deviations, etc. should provide a start in getting the needed information...

Do the NFW equations diverge when integrated from r=0 to some positive value? It's something like 1/r^3, correct? Shouldn't that converge? ...It has been a while for me :)

Yes you do get finite masses integrating the NFW halo from r=0 due to the r^2 factor in the integral element. It's still not a good idea to use it near the central black hole.

Cosmological density profiles like NFW or Einasto (which is popular in N body simulations these days) are based on large scale structure and the region immediately around the black hole is not even slightly resolved.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to traditional forms of detection. It is estimated to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How is dark matter distributed around black holes?

The distribution of dark matter around black holes is not well understood. Some theories suggest that dark matter may form a halo around black holes, while others propose that it may be drawn towards the black hole's strong gravitational pull and form an accretion disk.

3. Can dark matter be detected around black holes?

Currently, there is no direct way to detect dark matter around black holes. However, scientists are studying the effects of dark matter on the behavior of stars and gas near black holes, which may provide indirect evidence of its presence.

4. How does dark matter affect the formation and evolution of black holes?

Dark matter is thought to play a crucial role in the formation and growth of black holes. Its gravitational pull helps to gather matter and gas, which can eventually collapse and form a black hole. The exact mechanisms of this process are still being studied.

5. Can dark matter be used to study black holes?

Yes, the presence and distribution of dark matter around black holes can provide valuable insights into their formation and evolution. By studying the effects of dark matter on the behavior of matter and gas around black holes, scientists can gain a better understanding of the properties and behavior of these enigmatic objects.