Feynman's Derivation: Find Universal Law of Gravitation

• Thread starter amcavoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
Feynman did not specifically derive the Universal Law of Gravitation, but he did use his own geometrical arguments to derive Kepler's Laws from Newton's Law of Gravity. However, there is a book and CD available called "Feynman's Lost Lecture" which features a recording of Feynman discussing this topic. This resource may be helpful in understanding his approach to this topic.
amcavoy
Does anyone know where I can find Feynman's derivation of the Universal Law of Gravitation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. Feynman never derived the "Universal Law of Gravitation".

HallsofIvy said:
You can't. Feynman never derived the "Universal Law of Gravitation".

Really? I heard that he did without using calculus, and I am interested...

"Richard Feynman, Nobel-prize winning maverick physicist, rederived such a proof (as have some distinguished predecessors."

...taken from http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sgravity.htm

I was just wondering if there was a resource online for this (rather than going out and getting the book).

apmcavoy said:
Does anyone know where I can find Feynman's derivation of the Universal Law of Gravitation?
Feynman started with Newton's Law of Gravity and derived Kepler's Laws, using his own geometrical arguments based on properties of ellipses. I don't know where you can find it online.

Doc Al said:
Feynman started with Newton's Law of Gravity and derived Kepler's Laws, using his own geometrical arguments based on properties of ellipses. I don't know where you can find it online.
That is correct. The book is Feynman's Lost Lecture and is sold with a CD of the actual recording of the lecture by Feynman.

AM

1. What is Feynman's Derivation and why is it important?

Feynman's Derivation is a mathematical proof developed by physicist Richard Feynman that explains the Universal Law of Gravitation. It is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the force of gravity and how it affects objects in the universe.

2. What is the Universal Law of Gravitation?

The Universal Law of Gravitation states that every object in the universe with mass attracts every other object with mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How did Feynman derive the Universal Law of Gravitation?

Feynman's Derivation involves using mathematical equations and principles from classical mechanics and Newton's laws of motion to arrive at the Universal Law of Gravitation. He also took into account the concept of gravitational potential energy and the concept of a gravitational field.

4. Can Feynman's Derivation be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, Feynman's Derivation is a universal law that applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or mass. It is a fundamental principle that governs the force of gravity between any two objects with mass.

5. How does Feynman's Derivation differ from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Feynman's Derivation is a more comprehensive and rigorous mathematical proof that explains the Universal Law of Gravitation. It takes into account additional concepts such as gravitational potential energy and the concept of a gravitational field, which were not included in Newton's original law.