Proving centripetal acceleration formula

In summary, the conversation is about the formula for centripetal acceleration and the request for a website with mathematical proof of the formula. A link is provided with a mathematical explanation of the formula.
dragon513
Hi I was taught about centripetal accerleration last class, but my teacher didn't tell me why or how this formula works.

So I was wondering if anyone knows a website that has mathematical proof of this formula.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
dragon513 said:
Hi I was taught about centripetal accerleration last class, but my teacher didn't tell me why or how this formula works.

So I was wondering if anyone knows a website that has mathematical proof of this formula.

Thanks in advance.
Have a look at this link:

AM

What formula are you talking about?

If you mean [itex]a = v^2 / r[/itex] then you may be able to convince yourself with the following:

If an object is undergoing uniform circular motion then

[tex]x = r \cos \omega t[/tex]

[tex]y = r \sin \omega t[/tex]

Now just take derivatives and find the speed [itex]v = \sqrt {\dot x^2 + \dot y^2} = \omega r[/itex]. Likewise, the acceleration is [itex]a = \omega^2 r^2[/itex].

Combine the two to obtain

[tex]a = \frac {v^2}{r}[/tex]

You can generalize this to "nonuniform" circular motion.

Last edited:

1. How do you derive the formula for centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is derived from the equation for acceleration, a = Δv/Δt, and the definition of centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular motion. By equating these two equations, we can solve for v^2/r and get the formula for centripetal acceleration.

2. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular motion, while centripetal force is the force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular motion. They are related by the formula F = ma, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

3. How is centripetal acceleration related to the velocity and radius of the circular motion?

The formula for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, shows that it is directly proportional to the square of the velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular motion. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, while as the radius increases, the centripetal acceleration decreases.

4. Can the centripetal acceleration formula be used for any type of circular motion?

Yes, the centripetal acceleration formula can be used for any type of circular motion, as long as the motion is in a perfect circle. It is also valid for both uniform circular motion, where the speed is constant, and non-uniform circular motion, where the speed is changing.

5. How is centripetal acceleration important in real-life applications?

Centripetal acceleration is important in many real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, car and bike racing, and even the rotation of planets around the sun. It helps to keep objects moving in circular motion and allows for the creation of exciting and thrilling experiences. Understanding centripetal acceleration is also important for engineering and designing structures and machines that involve circular motion.