Linear Algebra Practice Problems

In summary, the conversation covers problems involving the dimension and basis for the Row, Column, and Null Spaces of a given matrix, as well as determining the Dimension of the Image and the Null Space and finding a Basis for each. The discussion also includes finding all solutions to linear equations involving polynomials and functions in a given vector space. The individual seeking clarification on their solutions and proper notation for representing the basis in vector form.
kamui8899
I posted before about Null Spaces and, after some review, I think I have a grasp on it. However I have a few more general questions, so I thought I'd start a new thread (although there may be some redundancy)

Problem 1:
Find the dimension and a basis for the Row, Column, and Null Spaces.

1 0 0 (-5/36) (101/36) (-11/3)
0 1 0 (-1/9) (4/9) (2/3)
0 0 1 (5/6) (1/6) 0

The solution I arrived at was:

Dimension of Column and Row Spaces = 3
Dimension of the Null Space = 3

Basis for the Row Space (Above Matrix)
Basis for the Column Space:

1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

Basis for the Null Space:
(-5/36) (101/36) (-11/3)
(-1/9) (4/9) (2/3)
(5/6) (1/6) 0
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

I was really just hoping someone could check this problem for me, as I think I did it right, but I'm not entirely sure.

Problem 2:
Find the Dimension of the Image and the Null Space, Find a Basis for the Image and the Null Space.

L: V -> V where L(f) = Second deriv(f) + f
Vector Space is spanned by Cos(x), Sin(x), xCos(x), xSin(x)

Ok, so I used those as my basis, and the transformed equations turn into:

Cos(x) = -sin(x) + sin(x), so it equals 0
Sin(x) = -cos(x) + cos(x), so this too equals 0
xsin(x) = cos(x) + cos(x) - xsin(x) + xsin(x) = 2cos(x)
xcos(x) = -sin(x) - sin(x) + xcos(x) - xcos(x) = -2sin(x)

Ok, so I got this far, since cos and sin are linearly independant of each other, the Dimension of the Image is 2, and the Dimension of the Null Space is 2 (we started with 4 linearly independent vectors). However, this is where I get confused, the basis for the image is:

2cos(x) 0
0 -2sin(x) (??)

and the basis for the Null Space is where 2cos(x) - 2sin(x) = 0? So, the null space is where Ax = b is Ax = 0, so the solution would be...??:

2cos(x) - 2sin(x) = 0
cos(x) - sin(x) = 0
cos(x) = sin(x)

Whenever Cos(x) is equivalent to sin(x)?? ... So my basis for the null space would be the two occasions within 6pi radians where cos(x) = sin(x)? How would I write this in matrix/vector notation?

Problem 3:

Find all solutions to the following linear problems:
All polynomials p in P^3 for which 2p(7) - 3p(6) = 14

So I set p(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3

I then did 2p(7) - 3p(6) = 14 and got:

a = 38d - 10c - 4b - 14

Ok, so there are 3 free variables, and one dependant variable, so there are infinite solutions, however my question is how to write that. Basically I have to write this solution as an equation of vectors, which I am unsure how to do unless I can just write is as:

<38d - 10c -4b -14, b , c , d> --->
14<-1, 0, 0, 0> + b<-4, 1, 0, 0> + c<-10, 0, 1, 0> + d<38, 0, 0, 1> ?

Problem 4:
Last one!

Find all the solutions to the following linear equation:
All functions in V for which: second deriv(f) + f = 3sin(x), where V is the vector space defined in Problem 2 (see above).

We have a basis from before, that was figured out to be:

2cos(x) 0
0 2sin(x)

Here's what I did, I'm not entirely sure this makes sense.

We set the equation 2cos(x) - 2sin(x) = 3sin(x). So the equation has solutions whenever 2cos(x) = 5sin(x)

So the solutions would be all multiples of the appropriate x value for this (I used a calculator, got something like .38radians and 3.522 radians). This is all well and good, however, are these numbers what I was looking for, and furthermore, how do I write the solutions properly (in matrix/vector form or something like that).

I know I've been posting alot, but I think I'm slowly piecing together the basics of linear algebra, thanks for all the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically I figured out the answer to question 1, however my main problem is finding out how to write the basis for problem 2 as vectors. That, and I'm still working on problems 3 and 4, any help is greatly appreciated!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves operations on vectors and matrices to solve systems of linear equations and analyze geometric transformations.

2. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to represent and solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric transformations.

3. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in real life, including computer graphics, data analysis, robotics, machine learning, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving linear relationships and to model and analyze real-world systems.

4. What are the benefits of studying linear algebra?

Studying linear algebra can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and analytical reasoning. It also provides a strong foundation for advanced mathematics and various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be challenging for some individuals, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry before diving into linear algebra. Seeking help from tutors or online resources can also make the learning process easier.