Attach ATA/IDE Hard Drive to Linux Computer

• Thread starter 0rthodontist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary, you need to attach an IDE hard drive to a Linux computer. You need an IDE connector on the motherboard, and a cable to connect the hard drive. If the computer is SATA, you will not have an IDE connector, and you will need to use an adapter.
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
I need to attach an ATA/IDE hard drive to a Linux computer and I'm pretty clueless about how to go about it. I have installed Linux on my desktop computer's SATA hard drive (pretty much the only computer available to me that I can open up and poke around in) and I also have a linux livecd. However, my main problem now is that I don't even know how to hook up the other hard drive. The drive has 47 pins over about 2-3 inches, and nothing on the inside of my computer looks like it fits that. What do I need to be able to hook this up?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should have an IDE connector on the motherboard, and it should look identical to the one on the drive. If the computer is SATA, rather than IDE, you will not have this connector, and you cannot use that hard drive with it -- at least, not without some kind of adapter.

- Warren

Sounds to me like you have a standard IDE Hard drive. Your motherboard should have 2 connectors, primary and secondary which will accept a cable connected to the hard drive. Do you have a cable? If not it is time for trip to your nearest computer store, you need a 80 conductor IDE cable. Most HDs, motherboards and cables are keyed now so you cannot get it on wrong. The actual connector is 40 pins but there is usually 6 or 7 pins beside it which are used with a jumper to select, master, slave or cable select. There should be a diagram on the HD defining the jumper location for each. If the HD is the only one on the cable set it up as a Master.

Yeah, my computer's hard drive is SATA. What kind of connector do I need?

Edit: wait, I think you already answered my question integral, thanks

Last edited:
If you don't want to boot from this drive, then you can by external casing for it, which will allow you to attach it to the computer via USB or firewire. Here are some examples:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_hard-drive.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Further information about this: the hard drive is actually a laptop IDE/ATA hard drive which is different from a regular IDE drive. I have available to me a connector that goes from a laptop drive to a regular IDE port. However, my computer has no IDE ports, only SATA ports. I think what I'm probably going to have to do is borrow the use of someone else's computer.

1. How do I physically attach an ATA/IDE hard drive to my Linux computer?

To physically attach an ATA/IDE hard drive to your Linux computer, you will need to open your computer's case and locate the ATA/IDE connector on your motherboard. Then, connect the hard drive's ribbon cable to the connector, making sure the red stripe on the cable is aligned with the pin 1 marker on the connector. Finally, connect the power cable to the hard drive's power port.

2. How do I check if my Linux computer recognizes the attached ATA/IDE hard drive?

To check if your Linux computer recognizes the attached ATA/IDE hard drive, you can use the "dmesg" command in the terminal. This will display the system messages and you should see information about the hard drive being detected. You can also use the "fdisk -l" command to list all the detected storage devices, including the ATA/IDE hard drive.

3. How do I format the attached ATA/IDE hard drive in Linux?

To format the attached ATA/IDE hard drive in Linux, you can use the "mkfs" command with the appropriate file system type. For example, "mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda" will format the hard drive with the ext4 file system. Be careful when using this command as it will erase all data on the hard drive.

4. How do I mount the formatted ATA/IDE hard drive in Linux?

To mount the formatted ATA/IDE hard drive in Linux, you will first need to create a mount point. This can be done by creating a new directory using the "mkdir" command. Then, you can use the "mount" command to mount the hard drive to the created directory. For example, "mount /dev/sda /mnt/hard_drive" will mount the hard drive to the "/mnt/hard_drive" directory.

5. How do I automatically mount the attached ATA/IDE hard drive on boot in Linux?

To automatically mount the attached ATA/IDE hard drive on boot in Linux, you can edit the "/etc/fstab" file. This file contains information about all the file systems that should be mounted on boot. You can add an entry for your hard drive using the device's UUID or label, along with the desired mount point and file system type. This way, the hard drive will be automatically mounted every time the computer boots up.