PF PHOTO CONTEST - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. (1/5-1/11)

In summary, the contest is to create a picture with snow as the main subject. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. Only ONE picture per member per contest. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for
What the hey, I'll give it a shot:

http://home.comcast.net/~mastacox/WebsitePics/SnowDay9.jpg [Broken]

Camera: Canon Powershot S70
Shutter: 2 sec.
Aperture: F/7.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Christmas Eve, 2004, Houston Texas. The "snowstorm of the century" (for South Texas, that is). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Christmas_Eve_Snowstorm" [Broken]

http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=housexmas04zx7.jpg

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8572/housexmas04zx7.jpg [Broken]

[Edit: Thanks to mattmns, I edited your post to have your picture here. This will make less tedious for me when doing the polling thread]

DH, I can't figure out why your img tags aren't working. I thought you forgot to use them and went to edit them in for you, but see they are there. :confused: How odd.

After a slow start, this is going to be one hell of a contest. All the pictures so far are amazing!

One day left to enter, if you dare!

Zz.

Mech_Engineer said:
What the hey, I'll give it a shot:

http://home.comcast.net/~mastacox/WebsitePics/SnowDay9.jpg [Broken]

Nice picture.

WE HAVE SNOW ON THE GROUND!...

Now all I need is a camera!

As soon as I get home from work... and it gets light...

I will try to get a pic entered.

Keep in mind, people, that just because you get some snow pictures later after this contest, doesn't mean you won't be able to save them for a later contest. We WILL be recycling the themes eventually.

Zz.

We have snow but I have no camera. :cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
We have snow but I have no camera. :cry:

Can't you steal one?

o:)

Zz.

Steal one? From whom; the cows? :biggrin:

Here is D H's picture

The reason it did not work is because you used the wrong link, you should just use the "Direct link."

[Edit: Thanks mattmns. I've used it in DH's post - Zz]

ZapperZ said:
Can't you steal one?

o:)

Zz.

:grumpy: :cry:

scorpa said:
:grumpy: :cry:

Ooops.. sorry. I forgot about that!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Ooops.. sorry. I forgot about that!

Zz.

Haha no worries, I was just buggin you :biggrin:

Snowed in at Sea-Tac.

http://www.astroskwurl.net/snowedin.jpg [Broken]

It's because of this that I got into Newark at 3 AM this morning. :-p

SpaceTiger said:
Snowed in at Sea-Tac.

It's because of this that I got into Newark at 3 AM this morning. :-p

Were you at the AAPT/AAS meeting?
I just left from there Tuesday night. My photo entry was at the landing of the last leg of my return flights (from Sea-Tac via Newark).

Last edited:
robphy said:
Were you at the AAPT/AAS meeting?
I just left from there Tuesday night. My photo entry was at the landing of the last leg of my return flights (from Sea-Tac via Newark).

Yep, what were you presenting? I had to give my dissertation talk. :tongue2:

SpaceTiger said:
Yep, what were you presenting? I had to give my dissertation talk. :tongue2:

I was there giving an AAPT Poster on VPython and an AAPT Oral presentation on a new derivation of the Doppler Effect in Relativity.

fi said:
<image deleted>

By my account (and clock), your picture was submitted AFTER the deadline of this contest. So to be fair to the rest of the participants, it cannot be included in the contest.

Zz.

Last edited:
I wasn't paying attention to the time over there, the sun is setting here! I was just pleased to have posted an image successfully, albeit one from a moving car... maybe next time.

DANG! Too bad I didn't have this photo around for this contest.

This is Oswego, NY

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/13354/2003385890951744064_rs.jpg

wow... It sure snowed. :confused: :smile:

gravenewworld said:

This is Oswego, NY

OK, one more time. This is a reminder to everyone that, if you have a photo that would have qualified in previous contests, KEEP IT! We will be recycling the themes eventually!

Zz.

gravenewworld said:

Damn GNW! I spent a week there during lake-effect snow days about a decade ago. The snow wasn't close to that deep, but it was VERY impressive, and there was often very little scenery to be seen from the road, apart from the cooling towers at the nuke plant.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest for this week?</h2><p>The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and magic of winter snow.</p><h2>2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit up to five photos for the contest. However, please make sure each photo is unique and follows the theme.</p><h2>3. How will the winner of the contest be chosen?</h2><p>The winner will be chosen based on a combination of factors, including creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. Our team of judges will carefully review all submissions and select the winning photo.</p><h2>4. Can I edit my photo after submitting it to the contest?</h2><p>No, once a photo has been submitted, it cannot be edited. Please make sure your photo is final and follows the contest guidelines before submitting it.</p><h2>5. Is there a prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?</h2><p>Yes, the winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a cash prize of $100. They will also be featured on our website and social media pages, giving them exposure and recognition for their photography skills.</p>

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest for this week?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." We are looking for photos that capture the beauty and magic of winter snow.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to five photos for the contest. However, please make sure each photo is unique and follows the theme.

3. How will the winner of the contest be chosen?

The winner will be chosen based on a combination of factors, including creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. Our team of judges will carefully review all submissions and select the winning photo.

4. Can I edit my photo after submitting it to the contest?

No, once a photo has been submitted, it cannot be edited. Please make sure your photo is final and follows the contest guidelines before submitting it.

5. Is there a prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?

Yes, the winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a cash prize of $100. They will also be featured on our website and social media pages, giving them exposure and recognition for their photography skills.