Matrices in reduced row-echelon form

In summary: For example, in the first matrix, the first non-zero member is in the second row and the second non-zero member is in the fourth row. Therefore, the first matrix is in reduced row-echelon form but the second matrix is not.
Tonyt88

Homework Statement

Determine which of the matrices below are in reduced row-echelon form:
a)
1_2_0_2_0
0_0_1_3_0
0_0_1_4_0
0_0_0_0_1

b)
0_1_2_0_3
0_0_0_1_4
0_0_0_0_0

c)
1_2_0_3
0_0_0_0
0_0_1_2

d)
0_1_2_3_4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know for sure that (a) is not in reduced row-echelon form because the leading one in row 2 had a nonzero value in its column.

(b) is in reduced row-echelon form.

(c) is the one I'm most curious about. I feel that since there is a leading 1 in row 3, but that there is no leading 1 in row two (and to the left at that) that it's not in reduced row-echelon form, is this correct?

(d) I feel confident is in reduced row-echelon form.

Are all my thoughts correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tonyt88 said:
(c) is the one I'm most curious about. I feel that since there is a leading 1 in row 3, but that there is no leading 1 in row two (and to the left at that) that it's not in reduced row-echelon form, is this correct?

If it is so, what do you propose to reduce it? :wink:

To reduce it would you switch row 2 and 3?

Tonyt88 said:
To reduce it would you switch row 2 and 3?

You do not need to switch row 2 and 3. Only for the sake of aesthetics, perhaps. The system if completely reduced and you can read out all relevant information from the matrix.

radou is right: you do not need to swap row 2 and row 3, but "reduced row echelon form" has a formal definition and it is necessary to swap row 2 with row 3 to put c) in that form.

Well, I agree with the last part of what jalexanal said but, as a result, I would have to say "radou is wrong"! Just for solving equations or related problems, the order of rows does not matter but for this problem, to tell whether or not the matrices are in "reduced row echelon" form, it does matter. In reduced row echlon form, there must be no rows below a given row with first non-zero member further to the left.

What is the definition of a matrix in reduced row-echelon form?

A matrix in reduced row-echelon form is a special type of matrix where the leading entry (also known as the pivot) of each row is equal to 1, and all other entries in the same column as the pivot are equal to 0. Additionally, the pivots are arranged in a specific order, with each pivot being further to the right and lower down than the previous pivot.

What are the benefits of using matrices in reduced row-echelon form?

Matrices in reduced row-echelon form are particularly useful for solving systems of linear equations. They allow for a more efficient and organized method of solving equations, as well as providing a clear understanding of the relationships between variables.

How do you transform a matrix into reduced row-echelon form?

To transform a matrix into reduced row-echelon form, you must use elementary row operations. These operations include multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, swapping two rows, and adding a multiple of one row to another row. By performing these operations in a specific order, the matrix can be transformed into reduced row-echelon form.

Can a matrix have more than one reduced row-echelon form?

No, a matrix can only have one reduced row-echelon form. This is because the reduced row-echelon form is unique for a given matrix. However, different matrices can have the same reduced row-echelon form if they are row equivalent, meaning they can be transformed into each other by elementary row operations.

What is the difference between reduced row-echelon form and row-echelon form?

The main difference between reduced row-echelon form and row-echelon form is that in the reduced row-echelon form, the pivots are the only non-zero entries in their respective columns. In row-echelon form, there may be non-zero entries above the pivots. Additionally, in the reduced row-echelon form, the pivots are all equal to 1, whereas in row-echelon form, they can be any non-zero number.