Ferry Captain: Finding Direction & Resultant Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a ferry captain's dilemma of traveling directly across a river with a current of 4km/h and a ferry that can travel at 8km/h. The first question asks for the direction the captain should direct the ferry, which is determined to be 26.6 degrees upstream to travel in a straight line. The second question asks for the resultant velocity of the ferry as seen by someone on the riverbank, which is calculated to be 6.9km/h. The conversation also includes a discussion about the accuracy of the given answers and the correct angle the ferry should be directed at.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

A ferry captain wishes to travel directly across a river. A current of 4km/h is flowing and the ferry can travel at 8km/h.
a) In what direction should the captain direct the ferry?
b) What is the resultant velocity of the ferry as seen by someone standing on the riverbank?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The ferry should be directed to travel 26.6 degrees up stream so that it will travel in a straight line. - same as the answers.

b) I don’t get. It’s not sqrt(8^2+4^2) because it travels in a straight line now. Would it simply be 8km/h? The answers suggested 6.9m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:

Homework Statement

A ferry captain wishes to travel directly across a river. A current of 4km/h is flowing and the ferry can travel at 8km/h.
a) In what direction should the captain direct the ferry?
b) What is the resultant velocity of the ferry as seen by someone standing on the riverbank?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The ferry should be directed to travel 26.6 degrees up stream so that it will travel in a straight line. - same as the answers.

b) I don’t get. It’s not sqrt(8^2+4^2) because it travels in a straight line now. Would it simply be 8km/h? The answers suggested 6.9m/s.

to the viewer on the river bank it comes directly at it, so the apparent distance traveled is 8km. But the actual speed toward the river bank is reduced by the angle upstream. I would think that angle would be 30, and
cos(30)*8=6.9km/hr

denverdoc said:
to the viewer on the river bank it comes directly at it, so the apparent distance traveled is 8km. But the actual speed toward the river bank is reduced by the angle upstream. I would think that angle would be 30, and
cos(30)*8=6.9km/hr

I still don't see how you arrived at this answer. Maybe could yo draw a diagram?

To overcome the current, is the direction of the ferry, having X ,----I
a component of 4Km/hr upstream to offset the drift. Since...X----I
the total velocity is 8Km/hr sin (theta)=4/8. To observer ...X---I
ferry is bearing directly at them--he doesn't see the angle....X-,I
the ferry must make with respect to the shoreline since......X
the net velocity upstream is a wash, ie=0. The component
dircted toward the river is then cos(30)*8. Your approach
using pythagorans theorum ok, but should be:

8=sqrt(4^2+Vapperent^2), squaring both sides V^2=64-16

Last edited:
I see, the key idea was that the ship is traveling at an angle of 30 degrees upstream. There is a horizontal component of 4km/h directly upstream and a vertical speed directly crossing the shore. This speed can be calculated by the pythagoras theorem sqrt(64-16)=6.93km/h. Note that the book got a) wrong. The angle upstream should be different to the angle the ship would be tilted had it traveled directly straight. Because in one case, 8km/h was the hypotenus, in the other it was not.

Exactly, complain re the text, there is no excuse for these types of errors.

1. What is a ferry captain?

A ferry captain is a person who is responsible for navigating and operating a ferry boat, which is a type of passenger or vehicle transportation vessel that travels short distances across bodies of water.

2. How do ferry captains find direction?

Ferry captains use navigational tools such as compasses, maps, and GPS systems to determine their direction. They also rely on their knowledge of the local waterways and landmarks to navigate their route.

3. What is resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the combined effect of an object's speed and direction of motion. In the context of a ferry captain, it refers to the speed and direction at which the ferry boat is traveling in relation to the water current and wind.

4. How does a ferry captain calculate resultant velocity?

To calculate resultant velocity, a ferry captain must first determine the speed and direction of the water current and wind. They then use mathematical equations, such as vector addition, to calculate the combined effect of these forces on the ferry boat's velocity.

5. What skills are required to be a successful ferry captain?

A successful ferry captain must possess a combination of technical skills, such as navigation and vessel operation, as well as interpersonal skills, such as communication and problem-solving. They must also have a thorough understanding of maritime laws and safety regulations.