Spanking & Canadian Law: Is It Legal?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary, the Canadian Supreme Court didn't agree to overturn the law that allows parents to spank their children.
Dooga Blackrazor
Laws / Canada

I recently heard. The person could have misheard what the news said but anyway. Apparently spanking is now or was but is now reknown to be legal in Canada for parents to spank children?

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is true? If so what are everyone's thoughts. I think physical punishment on a child is the result of the parent being unintelligent or not calm enough to deal with the situation. Plus if you are hit by someone your aloud to hit them back in self defense. Whats going to happen when a parent things they are special and spanks a teenager. They'll end up getting in the hospital because their weight lifting jock of a kid beat them up in self defense.

Thoughts? Maybe my Step-Dad didn't hear right. I hope that's the case. I believe non-violence is the true way to solve things and physical punishment just buries things.

Post Post Mania!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They passed a law some time ago to forbid it. This was an attempt to overturn the law in the courts, but the Canadian Supreme Court wouldn't agree to overturn it.

DB perhaps you should have searched for what your referring to, prior to posting as what went on is simply an "Ajudication of Rights" child and parent/responcible party...It is not a simple thing to work out in words, and do you have a clue what people invent/makeup/figure out as to just how to get around the words that are used...='s massive amounts of red tape that we generate and create to try to exempt ourselves from that law...just that Justices, in courts, know/realize that the rules they make/follow/apply have to be for everyone...not just one person or satifactory for just one person...

Please, show us how it's done...(Insert your word play to stop, distinguish, between 'justifiable punishment' and 'abuse'...watch how fast {God's Grace!} I can get around it)

Ah I see so your saying almost all laws have another law that contradicts with them? That makes sense.

I'll take your advice though:

Note to Self: Look up subject in further detail before posting. :smile:

More like Lower Courts trying to find a workable definition, circumstantially difficult when if must rule in all courts thereafter...hence it arrives as an issue of a more 'Supreme' importance and is ruled upon in that Court, hence ruled upon at to guide all courts...and people...

1. Is spanking considered legal in Canada?

Yes, spanking is currently legal in Canada as long as it is done in a reasonable and non-abusive manner. This means that the spanking must not result in any physical harm or injury to the child. It is also important to note that the use of any object, such as a belt or paddle, to administer the spanking is considered illegal.

2. What are the laws surrounding spanking in Canada?

The Criminal Code of Canada states that parents and guardians are allowed to use reasonable force to discipline a child. However, this force must be used in a corrective and not a punitive manner. The law also prohibits the use of any object or implements to administer the spanking.

3. Can spanking be considered as child abuse in Canada?

Yes, spanking can be considered as child abuse if it is done in a manner that causes physical harm or injury to the child. This includes the use of excessive force or the use of any object or implements to administer the spanking. Child abuse is a criminal offense and is taken very seriously in Canada.

4. Are there any other forms of discipline that are considered legal in Canada?

Yes, there are various forms of discipline that are considered legal in Canada such as time-outs, grounding, and taking away privileges. These forms of discipline do not involve physical force and are seen as more effective and appropriate ways of correcting a child's behavior.

5. Is spanking a common form of discipline in Canada?

While there is no exact data on the prevalence of spanking in Canada, it is still commonly practiced by some parents. However, there is a growing awareness of the potential negative effects of spanking on children, and many parents are choosing alternative forms of discipline instead.

Back